Hold Down Method

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Hold Down Method

Post by fred ruppert »

There is a hold down method that I think I have seen or heard about somewhere, can you tell me if this is a reasonable procedure to hold down a part to the spoil board. As I recall, there s a piece of contact paper stuck to the spoil board. A second piece of contact paper is stuck to the piece that wants to be machined. These two pieces of contact paper are then put in contact with each other but with dabs of instant glue between the two pieces. When the run is complete, the contact paper is separated from the machined piece and of course discarded.

I thought I would ask before trying. All my previous work has been screwed to the spoil board so movement during machining hasn't been an issue, and I want to continue that tradition.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Hold Down Method

Post by ger21 »

More commonly known as the Blue Tape method. Never heard of it being used with contact paper.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

fred ruppert wrote:There is a hold down method that I think I have seen or heard about somewhere, can you tell me if this is a reasonable procedure to hold down a part to the spoil board. As I recall, there s a piece of contact paper stuck to the spoil board. A second piece of contact paper is stuck to the piece that wants to be machined. These two pieces of contact paper are then put in contact with each other but with dabs of instant glue between the two pieces. When the run is complete, the contact paper is separated from the machined piece and of course discarded.

I thought I would ask before trying. All my previous work has been screwed to the spoil board so movement during machining hasn't been an issue, and I want to continue that tradition.
Hello Fred,

Yes, I have used this method to hold the occasional part and found that it was successful. The method you spoke of is less than $20 USD investment. You can buy a roll of blue painter's tape, small container of superglue and the accelerant. Please note, you need to consider the condition of your spoil board. If the blue painter's tape will not adhere to it, it may give you some undesired results. Additionally, if I'm doing hundreds of pieces, I find the painters tape/superglue too costly and time-consuming. For these large runs, a usually construct a holding fixture. Happy milling!
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Lots of information on it,
I've used it quite a bit and never had an issue. One nice side effect is with proper placement you don't need to use tabs.
John
Maker of Chips

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

+1. I usually use it when I don't want tabs, or they are small parts. I've cut things like wood hinge parts and it works great. To enhance the stickability, I make sure the parts are clean. Also, I rub down the blue tape with a rubber roller that I use for masks and blue tape.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Word of caution, don't use too much CA glue or it will spread out past the blue tape and glue material to the spoilboard, don't ask how I know this.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
John
Maker of Chips

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

I use heavy-duty Carpet Tape for smaller parts (no glue) there are times when I have to clean bits that have picked up residue from cutting too low. WD40 and a toothbrush come in handy.
Regards
C

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

BigC wrote:I use heavy-duty Carpet Tape for smaller parts (no glue) there are times when I have to clean bits that have picked up residue from cutting too low. WD40 and a toothbrush come in handy.
Regards
C
That's why people use painters tape :lol: :lol: It's not a method I use myself but I know a little about different types of tape, film & adhisives from my time signmaking :lol:

It uses an adhesive that has been designed for clean removal so there is almost no cleaning up of the parts when the tape is removed. I am not an expert when it comes to finishing but you might want to be a bit careful with things like WD40 which will soak into the wood & may affect any finish you want to apply :lol: :lol:

MAXJ
Model of CNC Machine: KRMx02

Post by MAXJ »

To the Australian readers of this forum

Sydney Tools now stock Chemtools - RapidstickT Cyanoacrylate Adhesives Accelerator –> Part Number 164013.
I bought a can on the weekend from the Preston branch

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

MAXJ wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:12 pm
To the Australian readers of this forum

Sydney Tools now stock Chemtools - RapidstickT Cyanoacrylate Adhesives Accelerator –> Part Number 164013.
I bought a can on the weekend from the Preston branch
I buy mine from Carbatec
Ron
Crafers Crafts