Dust Management

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Dust Management

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello all,

I am not sure where to ask this question on the forum so. Here goes...

I've recently gotten back in the shop after extended leave of absence. On close examination I see that there is a significant amount of dust accumulated around the shop. After talking with my kids, about my observation they express how inconvenient it is to walk over to the dust collector to turn it on, then find the right blast gate to open and check all the other gates, make their cut, sanding, etc... and then turn off the dust collection system. I have an idea...

I went to Amazon and looked to see what a four-inch automatic dust management system cost and when I woke up from the sticker shock (three 4 inch automatic gates with voltage sensors cost more than $650 US plus a bunch of other things I would have to purchase). Now, I am looking at jumping into learning something new and build my own dust management system. I would need to have power sensor for 110 and 220V, a way to turn on and off my dust collector, automatic open close 6-3 and 6-4 inch gates and all managed by a Arduino or Raspberry pie. Before I start this journey, I thought I would ask any of you fine people around the world, if you've already crossed this bridge. I would be very interested in what year experiences and suggestions would be.

But I in up building my own system, would any of you be interested in the design drawings, models, wiring diagrams, controller software, parts list, and notes on how to build your own?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Dust Management

Post by highpockets »

Jim,

I haven't built this one, but it's on my sort list for a final design...

John
Maker of Chips

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

Alexa?
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

larrybadgett wrote:Alexa?
I'm not sure I can scream loud enough to get over the noise to tell Alexa to turn off the dust collector.
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

highpockets wrote:Jim,

I haven't built this one, but it's on my sort list for a final design...

Yes Sir! I just watched that video. I jumped on Amazon and priced out the cost for a system to support six three-inch gates and six four-inch gates with power sensors and controls to turn on and off dust collector. My first estimate is around $650... That's 1/4 the cost of buying it outright.
Thanks,
Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I put a dedicated dust collector on the CNC and it automatically turns on and off via commands in the post processor. With how fast machines like planers etc fill up a bag I would be forever changing it so a dedicated one was the way to go for me.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I've done some work with Arduino. It is pretty straight forward and there are many videos, blogs, and sites with helpful information. I'd say go for it.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I'm with Randall, I've done a few projects with the Arduino, they are simple to work with, by big problem when I first stating playing with them is I kept trying to make it harder than it was. Helps a lot if you have some knowledge of programming, but with Google by your side that's not much of a problem if you don't, just may take a little longer.
Just finished installing under the cabinet LED lighting in the kitchen using capacitive sensor with an Arduino Nano for the controller, works great.
John
Maker of Chips

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

I have a dedicated vacuum on mine triggered by the control board PWM connector. If fires a $24 cheap relay plug and auto turns on the vacuum and router. No blast gate needed.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935?g ... S4QAvD_BwE

I did have to put two of the relay plugs connected in series due to the originally tripping when both the router and vacuum started at the same time from the control board signal. Now I never have an overload of the relay plug.

This may be a good option for you if you are running a 110 VAC system.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Samson 510 CNC Plasma Table

Post by joejinky »

I am just a simple guy. If I were to do this, I would set up a relay powered by the power switch of each device. When any machine was turned on, the relay would send power to an actuator that would open the dust gate. Killing the power to the machine would close the actuator. Another simple switch at each machine could be WIRED to turn the dust collector on or off, OR you could get a wireless setup to turn the collector on and off with a key fob remote. Remember that a RELAY can turn on 220 and even 3-Phase power. All you need is a way to trigger that relay, and a simple Christmas Tree remote would do that. You could also patch in the work lights over each machine, to keep the electric bills down.

Joe
http://flic.kr/s/aHsk7y47ff

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Okay guys,

I am doing it... I just placed an order for some parts on Amazon (I hope the wife will be okay with it) :D I will try to post some updates as I go down this rabbit hole. :)
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I see a "snowball" in the making :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Sounds like a fun project!
Scott T

@scottscnc

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

I am 3D printing parts for a test unit.
My plan is to use RJ45 and Power Over Ethernet (CAT 6e) cables to run voltage sensors and power the servos.

My design rules/guidelines:
1. No modifications to the aluminum blast gate. (No drilling holes, or removing bolts)
2. No disassembling or removing parts to install or remove mechanism. (One piece on one piece off)
3. Minimize to No hardware required (okay with zip ties and small screws to assemble the part)
4. Standard off-the-shelf CAT6e network cables and connectors
5. No tools required to remove the mechanism
6. User interface should have a test cycle (tbd)
7. Sensors and blast gate are separate items
8. Sensors are voltage power on/off, proximity, and/or user push-button and/or mechanical/electrical switch
9. Keep it simple.

I will post pictures as soon as I get one working. :)
Attachments
Servo swing Arm
Servo swing Arm
Gate Foot (will slip on the gate vale tung, a 1/4 bolt tap for swing arm)
Gate Foot (will slip on the gate vale tung, a 1/4 bolt tap for swing arm)
13kg/cm Servo mount with RJ45 jack in the back. Note the hole in the flat area to use the gate knob
13kg/cm Servo mount with RJ45 jack in the back. Note the hole in the flat area to use the gate knob
Standard 4 inch Alum Gate
Standard 4 inch Alum Gate
RJ45 Keystone holder mount.
RJ45 Keystone holder mount.
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Sounds over the top, can't wait to see how this progresses....

Please keep us updated....
John
Maker of Chips