Edge lit greatest hits

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Edge lit greatest hits

Post by Xxray »

Found a batch of old pics of my edge lit projects on an old hard drive I was browsing through, thought I'd post some here in installments to spark more interest for LED projects.

Most are probably from 2013-2015 or so, some I no doubt posted here as I did them, most I did not - Many I would have had no recollection of even making without seeing the pic. Almost all of them are long gone, done on request for sale or as a gift, a scant few I may still have.
Attachments
3.jpg
IMG_2805 (Large).JPG
IMG_2825 (Large).JPG
IMG_3196 (Large).JPG
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Re: Edge lit greatest hits

Post by Xxray »

Some more
Attachments
IMG_4166 (Large).JPG
DSCN0082 (Large).JPG
IMG_2724.JPG
1.jpg
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_4069.JPG
Doug

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

With the angel and the cross, did you carve into the back of the acrylic? I like the effect.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Beautiful work on all!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Wow, Doug, those are beautiful!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I remember seeing these when first starting, and wondering if I would ever be capable of such work(as I was only understanding every third word you said:) :)
Just beautiful Doug!!! :D :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

gkas wrote:With the angel and the cross, did you carve into the back of the acrylic? I like the effect.
Oh yes, with the right bit plexi lends its self very well to 3D and with dramatic effect when lit, you basically just subtract the model and flip it [if anything would look different left to right like lettering].

I usually like to use at least .75 plexi up to 1.25, but the crucifix was done in .5 so its just barely possible. Nerve wracking, I have punched through more than a few. The angel was one of the best I have ever done, obviously done as a memorial for a lady named Ruth [RIP]. I remember the customer crying when she first saw it.
scottp55 wrote:I remember seeing these when first starting, and wondering if I would ever be capable of such work(as I was only understanding every third word you said:) :)
Just beautiful Doug!!! :D :D
scott
Yeah I think you were among the 1st to dub me the plexi king, I may have relinquished the title but I still like doing them. I have done quite a few last couple years but I rarely even take pics of them much less post about it unless its something really special, guess I took so many pics I got burnt of posting but I am glad I documented this work, brings back memories of what was, and sparks some fresh ideas of what could be.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

few more - You'll notice that with some of the thick plexi I made plexi bases for them as well. Your router will really work overtime cutting a plexi base, probably the toughest single task I have ever assigned my machine, the bit just shrieks in agony. Can't go very fast or deep, the bit will snap like a toothpick or the holddown will fail. But with a good sharp bit, proper holdown and right speeds/depth per pass, not too bad.
Last one, childs winnie the pooh I tried a unique concept. I made 2 base sections, one the top with a slot the other the bottom for the LED strip. In between I sandwiched an oval chunk of plexi cut to the same dimensions as the base and a corresponding slot, giving the base a light up strip all along the middle. Though I considered the concept a success, I never tried it again.
Attachments
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG
IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Xxray wrote:

I usually like to use at least .75 plexi up to 1.25, but the crucifix was done in .5 so its just barely possible. Nerve wracking, I have punched through more than a few. .
After thinking a bit, I think I need to revise that remark, its been a while.

.5 is fine for 3D, optimal in fact. 3/8 plexi is the one barely possible for 3d, .25 not possible at all [maybe technically it is, I have never tried it, would produce a rather drab, flat looking model I would think] .75 is fine but plexi gets more expensive as it get thicker so I rarely used that, really has nothing to offer over .5 to justify the extra cost..
I've done models in plexi as thick as 1.25, don't think I ever took pics of them, must have made them after I got burnt on posting. One was an epic, jaw dropping crucifix, same model as posted above, was about 14x8" with a plexi base, turned out great, sold it for $300. I seem to recall doing another of of Einstein in thick plexi, that ones still floating in my garage somewhere along with a few others. [1"+ thick plexi is super expensive, lucky me I found an ad on craigslist from a guy who bought a closed bank, gutted the interior and was selling everything off, including the bullet proof plexiglass. So I got a load of that for dirt cheap and still have alot of it if I ever get the urge again to make some more]. A little scratched up ? Sure, lucky for me also that I have a top of the line buffer that will get it looking better than new again in a minute.

If it wasn't for that, no way would it make economic sense to play around and experiment like this with thick plexi.
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Doug,
Can you remember what thickness and bit you used for Ruth's "Angel" Memorial?
I think that one will remain my all time favorite.
(Sounds like a labor of love that was successful !!!)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

scottp55 wrote:Doug,
Can you remember what thickness and bit you used for Ruth's "Angel" Memorial?
I think that one will remain my all time favorite.
(Sounds like a labor of love that was successful !!!)
scott
I almost always use a 1/32 TBN bit carving these, in fact 1 bit has made just about all of them, along with dozens of lithos too. For 2D of course I use mostly a drag bit.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Another installment
Attachments
German Shepard model
German Shepard model
Deer
Deer
Aztec/mayan calendar clock
Aztec/mayan calendar clock
Gun, much better detailed than the other one - If you notice, you can see I forgot to flip this one, letting is backwards
Gun, much better detailed than the other one - If you notice, you can see I forgot to flip this one, letting is backwards
Galloping mustang
Galloping mustang
A buddy of mine had a laser shop at this flea market type place, displayed and sold alot of my stuff there
A buddy of mine had a laser shop at this flea market type place, displayed and sold alot of my stuff there
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Was it the 3 or 4 flute model Doug?
https://www.precisebits.com/products/ca ... p&filter=7

Does bring back pleasant memories :)
scott
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Dunno Scott, never paid much attention to flutes, maybe I should ,,, One of the left is old Betsy, new looking one is its prospective replacement, haven't cut any plexi with it yet.

You can see that the nose of old Betsy is blunted from countless hours of service, she has earned a well deserved retirement.
Attachments
IMG_4872.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Found this beauty I made years ago while rummaging through my garage tonight, I showed a pic to some guy of the aztec calendar clock he said OMG beautiful I gotta have it, how much you want ? I said well, let me see if I still have it. I don't remember selling it but I must have, no where to be found so far but while I was looking for that found this one.

Made out of 1" plexi, I think this was part of my bullet proof glass bank hoard. Is well over 1' tall, luckily I had it wrapped in a no scratch sheet but there are still a few scratches that will buff out easily. You'll notice that I didn't buff the edges clear on this one like I do most of them, I left the frosted look - Also looks like I flame polished the model once it was complete, I sometimes do that when the model itself looks a bit too "frosted" [I was probably using a bit that was past its prime and didn't cut as cleanly as it should have].
One disadvantage to using plexi bases is there really is no good way to hide the controller so I just have it taped to the back of the base, I guess I should at least hot glue it but that would pop lose sooner rather than later, so I don't know. Nice to find something from the past, I put a fair amount of effort into making this, cut out the block on a table saw, set it up on the machine, easily a 5 hour cut, sand down the edges to perfection, cut out the base and installed the LED strip ,,, Will try to sell it or maybe donate it to a church.
Attachments
Model for sure is flame polished, I don't do this unless I have to - I wonder how it would look if I blacked out the background ?
Model for sure is flame polished, I don't do this unless I have to - I wonder how it would look if I blacked out the background ?
Nice n thick
Nice n thick
Looks nice unlit too, pretty heavy as you might imagine
Looks nice unlit too, pretty heavy as you might imagine
Doug