Edge lighting question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Edge lighting question

Post by gkas »

One of the procedures I use is to hook up the strip I intend to use (or close to it) to my test power supply. I can vary the voltage and amperage if I'm going to use a fixed power supply. If you solder leads to the RGB strips, you can activate any of the three colors. I get the LED packages from Amazon or Super Bright LEDS. I usually don't use all the LEDs with the supplied power supply, etc. I bought a bunch of 2 Amp wall warts on the net. Now I can use all my leftover strips. It's a 2-wire connection. Bridge the RGB connections and you get white (kinda), or pick any combination.

This Nintendo sign was made using just the Red of an RGB strip.
Red LED Sign.jpg

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

That is very nice... I have not done anything with LED's, you sound like a electronics person.
Thanks,
Jim

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

gkas wrote:One of the procedures I use is to hook up the strip I intend to use (or close to it) to my test power supply. I can vary the voltage and amperage if I'm going to use a fixed power supply. If you solder leads to the RGB strips, you can activate any of the three colors. I get the LED packages from Amazon or Super Bright LEDS. I usually don't use all the LEDs with the supplied power supply, etc. I bought a bunch of 2 Amp wall warts on the net. Now I can use all my leftover strips. It's a 2-wire connection. Bridge the RGB connections and you get white (kinda), or pick any combination.

This Nintendo sign was made using just the Red of an RGB strip.
Red LED Sign.jpg
Nice sign - And nice Supermax ! Looks pretty fresh, mine is grungy and grizzled but still sanding like a champ, love that thing. Between that and new bandsaw, made my planer obsolete.
Doug

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

Xxray wrote:
gkas wrote:Nice sign - And nice Supermax ! Looks pretty fresh, mine is grungy and grizzled but still sanding like a champ, love that thing. Between that and new bandsaw, made my planer obsolete.
I only got it a couple of years ago, now you can't pry it out of my hands. Stuff carves so much better when it's flat.

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

jimandi5000 wrote:That is very nice... I have not done anything with LED's, you sound like a electronics person.
I just dabble enough to be dangerous. I finally got tired of not having the correct test voltage around, so I finally splurged. Tekpower TP3005T Variable Linear DC Power Supply, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZB ... UTF8&psc=1

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

From my aquarium experience. Is this what you are looking to replicate, albeit with a longer LED strip?
led2.jpg
led.jpg
You will need to form a pocket in the back of the frame (for the driver box) and an exit route for the mains cable.
You may possibly need to make a subframe backing possibly from painted MDF to achieve this.
I think the use of battery packs would be a false economy whereby you would be forever changing them (unless you use rechargeables).
but I have no idea how many hours of lighting you would get from a full charge, it may not be worth the effort.
Regards
C

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Wow, lots of input. Thanks to all. This project is just in the planning stage but I will post when it's ready. :)

Phil

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I think you may be asking to much with LED strip that long under battery power with it having to fit within the frame your planning. Does it really need to be battery powered? Before I went much further I would look at doing some testing with a length of LED strip at the length you require & different battery combinations to try & work out what sort of life you will get from the batteries. Are you planning on rechargable or throw away Batteries as thats another factor.
There are small 12v Batteries available so it doesn't need to be a string or AA or AAA in series. I use A23 & A27 batteries for small projects but the LED strips are never really longer that about 12 inches. I normally just buy throw away batteries for the birthday numbers I make for my Grand Kids as these are only meant to be powered for a few hours.
I will see if I can find any pictures, there should be some kicking about somewhere lol

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Found this one but it doesn't appear to be turned on so not a good example of how the light work :lol:

The panel that says today is opal acrylic with Vinyl text applied. If I remember right it's something like 400mm x 100mm & the LED strip runs round the inside so similar to what you are looking to do. I put 2 A23 Batteries in parallel in this in the hope it would last a bit longer. Like I said in the other post these are really only meant to last a few hours & for that what I use battery wise is adaquate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think the letter is 12mm ply (might be 15mm) & on the back just where the LED panel is I doubled that up to give me enough thickness to hide all the electrics.
Nettle No4.jpg