Overlapping vectors how to make one and boundary create

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
David2180
Model of CNC Machine: Pro408 shopsabre

Overlapping vectors how to make one and boundary create

Post by David2180 »

I've got to cut some foam matting materials and when I import the items ,they have multiple overlapped vectors so my few questions are.
Can I simplify the vectors in Vcarve so I can vcarve or pocket cut the hexagon pattern? I dont have the overlaps in my sketchup file?
I would also need to profile cut the perimeter of these drawings,I tried boundary create but it selected all the little hexagons also I think ,its not allowing me to select just outer vectors?
when I import the sketchup file it comes in upside down so logo is backwards, I use the mirror horizontal command to fix this but is there another way it should be done?
when I ever try to import a dxf or dwg the file comes in larger than the actual file is,why is this?

Here is the files I'm working with if any of you have some input please and Thank you
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Overlapping vectors how to make one and boundary create

Post by gkas »

David2180 wrote: Here is the files I'm working with if any of you have some input please and Thank you
The file is not public...

David2180
Model of CNC Machine: Pro408 shopsabre

Post by David2180 »

Sorry about that here is the updated link

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When you import a DXF file the job you're importing into to must be of the same units (mm or inches) that the DXF file was exported from or you can just scale it once it's imported.

You're seeing one of the difference between Sketchup and a vector based toolpathing program like VCarve with that import. What looks simple to the human eye is anything but once you have to start thinking about telling a machine what to do with it. The hexagons are all closed vectors (as are the partial ones) so they are always going to overlap. If you break them into open vectors then you limit the toolpaths you can use. Basically you're limited to a profile cut on the vector with an open vector.

To get the outer edges selectable you first need to ungroup (if you had group imported parts selected) and then use the join tools to join up where there is a mixture of straight line and arcs.

You'll have to work out a machining strategy to decide how best to adjust the vectors. If you want grooves where the hexagons meets then the easiest way would be to use a v-bit with a set depth using a profile toolpath set to be on the vector. If you want those line to be v-carved then you would need to reduce the size of the hexagons to create a gap between them which the toolpath can use as the constraining limits. Without knowing exactly what the finished product is mean to look like it's hard to offer any more advice than that.

I assume you're using the exploded flat import option as the three view option imports the text the correct way around. I'm guessing you have the faces inverted in Sketchup but as I use an older version I can load that to check. Try forcing the import orientation by using materials in Sketchup.