Stained glass replica carving

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

you find yourself meandering around southern Maine in the summer months and maybe you just had lunch at the Maine Diner on route 1 and want to explore a little, head north and take your first right on 9 and go past the Rachael Carson National Wildlife Refuge. A few miles later you’ll go over a bridge into Kennebunkport with all the shoppers scurrying about. Take your first right down Ocean Avenue, go past the fancy houses and hotels, yacht clubs, etc towards Walker Point (summer home of the Bush family). Before you get there, you’ll see a small sign for St. Ann’s church. If there aren’t any services or weddings going on you can take a walk on the grounds and see the beautiful outdoor chapel overlooking the ocean. Then for sure you’ll want to go in and look at the stone chapel constructed in the late 1800’s from stones from the property. Beautiful stained glass windows all around, but one all the way up on the left (north) side of the chapel, towards the alter end, has always caught my eye. Dated 1890, this work of art was created in NYC by an artist famous for incorporating sea shells into the stained glass. Not only do I see the colors but also the beauty of the lines created by the lead Came that holds the glass in place.

That’s what I thought would make a great carving. But, it also needed a great frame to hold it and what better then the art work of the stone mason who framed the original?

So that’s what I did here. Carved the lines of the stained glass in cast acrylic, and the faces of the surrounding stones in maple. All modeled in Aspire by me. I must give an assist to my Apple iPad and Apple pencil along with AutoCAD’s sketchbook app. This app allowed me to accurately trace about half of the lines, with a consistent line width, and easily import that into Aspire and translate to vectors. It would have been tons more work to have done it without that. I also used that app to tone down the light parts of the stones which translate to high spots when the bitmap is used to make a model. Once more I used it to trace the grout lines and add a component to give that space additional depth.

The maple I used here was also from Maine. I ripped the pith out and jointed two half with my Stanley No. 5 and I think the seam between the two is, well, seamless.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
Picture of the glass
Picture of the glass
Picture of the stones
Picture of the stones
My Carving
My Carving
Acrylic Carve
Acrylic Carve
2031EE0A-50F5-4193-92DF-C30946562323.jpeg
F6E452F8-01A9-45CE-9E66-6519DC9316C0.jpeg
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Stained glass replica carving

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow! I love every bit of that. Thank you for the pics and explanation - outstanding work!

FYI - I have a “faux stained glass” project in the queue, so I don’t want you to think I’m “copying” your idea!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

WOW!!! Beautiful work Bill.... What a great idea.

Thanks for sharing....
John
Maker of Chips

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks for sharing and explaining your project. Turned out great.

Gary

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Awesome piece of work :D
Cobblewood Carver

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Wow! Thanks everyone. Had to skip out for a few minutes but wanted to add a few pics showing the edited and line drawings I used.
20200130_140139424_iOS.jpg
So that's the line trace from my iPad. Great tool with the new pencil and app. You can allow the app to control the shapes you are drawing to get perfect curves and circles from your scratches. I imported this to Aspire and trimmed to a center line and then mirrored.
20200131_224603001_iOS.png
This is the edited stone picture. You can see I toned down the light parts of the stones closest to the window, this keeps down the sharp peaks you'll get with a pic like this in aspire.
Also added line darkening on a separate layer for the grout areaand brought those lines into my model to add depth.
20200202_034116670_iOS.png
mtylerfl wrote:Wow! I love every bit of that. Thank you for the pics and explanation - outstanding work!

FYI - I have a “faux stained glass” project in the queue, so I don’t want you to think I’m “copying” your idea!
That's OK Michael, I just "copied" a work from 130 years ago.
BillK

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

WOW!
Bob

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

That is really nice, and a very different type of project.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

That is an amazing piece of work....just WOW! Beautifully done and the back story is great too.
Thanks for sharing your talent.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

I looked in awe at your post. What a awesome piece of work. I would love to do something like that . I envy your talent.

Dave

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Sweet, I went on a stained plexiglas kick some time back, can be very rewarding with a steady hand and patience.
Doug

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

BillK:
Thanks too, for the wonderful work and background story.
BTW. You write "So that's the line trace from my iPad. Great tool with the new pencil and app". What "new pencil and app", if you don't mind?
Regards,
Brian.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Thanks again everybody, really kind comments.

Brian, after many years I recently got a new iPad, the iPad Air. A year or two ago Apple also came out with the Apple pencil that works with some iPads, so I got one also. The app I use is AutoCAD Sketchbook. I had that app on the old iPad, but wow the improvements are phenomenal with the new version when added to the pencil. Takes tracing to a whole new level. So nice not to deal with the blobs and floaters in Aspire that you get when converting a photo bitmap. A clean black and white is always the best for that.
BillK

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

STUNNING job from scratch Bill!! :)

Good back story...and kind of ashamed I never noticed that window...as I got Married there! :oops:
In my defense I spent most of the time staring at the wood joinery above the stone work(AND trying to pay attention to pastor AND not falling off my crutches!

We were well known for wood shipbuilding....and I could just imagine the shipbuilders telling their crews...
"Just think of it as an upside down ship...with the weirdest hull shape you ever saw.." and they were Off! :)
Never saw so many Oak "Knees" used in a building more than that church!! :D

That REALLY is a beautifully designed and cut piece!!
My congratulations Bill!
Well Done!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Thanks Scott, that’s a great story. For a small chapel, you could spend an hour just looking around at all the structure and glass. Really amazing by hand work.

Trying to get a better picture in natural light, but the weather is not cooperating.

The finish on the wood came out great. Two coats of Danish Oil which I let dry overnight each then I modified your Linwax formula slightly using the Danish Oil 9 parts, beeswax 2 parts, carnauba wax 1 part. Let that dry and buffed off. Feels great with a nice sheen.
BillK