Help, please. Newbie here. Tool change in Tormach

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Randy_m
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach

Help, please. Newbie here. Tool change in Tormach

Post by Randy_m »

I'm trying to figure out how/what to do for a tool change. I can draw a simple project that use 2,3,4 different tools and create a
cut file. when my machine stops (Tormach) it says to install new tool and hit cycle start. my problem is the head is not high enough to do that, I have to remember the line of code I'm on, hit the stop button, raise the Z axis, install the tool, create a new start line, then hit cycle start. Is there some way when the tool path is being generated to have a G30 command installed after the tool path has ran? This I believe would solve my problems. The cutting cycle would end, and the Z axis would raise to my G30, I could change the tool then hit cycle start again. I hope that all makes sense.
Thanks Randy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: HELP, PLEASE. NEWBIE HERE. TOOL CHANGE IN TORMACH

Post by Adrian »

You would need to edit the post processor you're using to add the command to the TOOLCHANGE section. There is a post processor editing guide on the Cut2D help menu.

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

I will go look, thank you. what do I put in? or is it self explanatory?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Randy_m wrote:I will go look, thank you. what do I put in? or is it self explanatory?
You said that you wanted to put a G30 command in?

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

Yes I think so. I,m not sure. My machine will stop for a tool change but the Z axis is not high enough to physically change the tool. I have to write the line number I'm on down, stop the program, raise Z, change tool then start the program on what ever line of code that I wrote down in the beginning. I'm new to this so maybe I'm doing it wrong. What do I need to do to get the Z to go up on a tool change?
Thanks Randy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Easiest way would be to put a move to the home/clearance Z in the post processor TOOLCHANGE section. That would be [ZH] but the move command to go with that depends on your control code language. I use a ShopBot so the move command for that would be different for you. I'd guess it would be G0 [ZH] but you'd have to check that.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

I am sorry to jump in on this thread...

But I have a questions, what software is controlling the TORMACH machine (looks like Mach3 or Mach4) could you post a few screenshots of the controller software.

I wrote a tool change program and automatic tool touch off for my machine that does not have automatic tool changer.
Thanks,
Jim

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

The Tormach uses path pilot to control the machine. go to hub.pathpilot.com and you can sign up and use their online simulator. This may help to answer your question. I hope this helps.

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

Adrian wrote:Easiest way would be to put a move to the home/clearance Z in the post processor TOOLCHANGE section. That would be [ZH] but the move command to go with that depends on your control code language. I use a ShopBot so the move command for that would be different for you. I'd guess it would be G0 [ZH] but you'd have to check that.
Thank you, I will look into this.

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

OK after much research I have another question if I may. this is my P.P. (pathpilot inch). where would I and how would I
put a "ZH" in this and how? I would like my Z axis to be a 1/2" below the home switch. would it be (ZH -.5oo)? Thanks for all your help.

+---------------------------------------------------
+ Commands output at toolchange

begin TOOLCHANGE

"[N]T[T]M6"
"[N] (Tool: [TOOLNAME])"
"[N]G43H[T]"

+ Commands output for a new segment - toolpath
+ with same toolnumber but maybe different feedrates

begin NEW_SEGMENT

"[N][S]M03"
"([TOOLPATH_NAME])"
"([TOOLPATH_NOTES])"

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ZH isn't related to the home switch it's the "Z gap above material" setting in the Home section of the Material Setup in Cut2D/VCarve/Aspire.

Randy_m

Re: Help, please. Newbie here. Tool change in Tormach

Post by Randy_m »

wouldn't that cause the z axis to go all the way up unnecessarily on each move? I just want it to go up on a tool change.

Randy_m

Post by Randy_m »

Well that didn't work, well it kinda did but not completely. It went up on the shorter tools for a tool change but on the longer ones I got a Z axis positive over travel fault. I would like my tool change to be a 1/2 below the home switch in absolute measurement/mode. I think that would work.
Thanks for all your help.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Randy_m wrote:Well that didn't work, well it kinda did but not completely. It went up on the shorter tools for a tool change but on the longer ones I got a Z axis positive over travel fault. I would like my tool change to be a 1/2 below the home switch in absolute measurement/mode. I think that would work.
Thanks for all your help.
You're going to have to write macros in your control language to do that as the standard post processors know nothing about your limit switch. I've done it on my ShopBot but that's a different language. Basically on my machine when I put a new tool in I zero it (which is an automatic process but doesn't need to be) and as part of that the z goes up until it hits the top limit switch. The routine stores that value in a variable in the control software and my post processor uses that value using embedded shopbot code instead of all ZH moves.

The other way to do it is to put your longest tool in and manually move as high as you can without topping the Z movement out. Now you have an absolute reference that you can use for future jobs, making sure that any bit used in the job doesn't hit the material or top out.

I can't help thinking that with a popular machine like yours someone has already done all the work as with my Shopbot. Several people I know have done the same thing with their shopbots and I believe it's standard on the newer machines now. Have you asked Tormach if they have routines to do it?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Thinking about it a bit more can you just put an absolute move in the post processor so the z always goes to the same fixed point? You only really need a different value if you're using relative moves but you always want it to go to a point 0.5 below a known fixed point.