Laptop Recommendations

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Alan Smiley
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 58

Laptop Recommendations

Post by Alan Smiley »

I've just upgraded from Aspire 4.5 to 10.0 and am ready for a new laptop on which to run it.
Can anybody give me a recommendation?
Would a touch screen laptop be of any utility in using the modeling functions in Aspire 10.0?
Should I forego a CD/DVD drive this time since the software is now downloaded instead of installed via CD?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Laptop Recommendations

Post by highpockets »

I have an Asus Q504u 2 in 1 laptop that I use as my everyday LT that works great for Aspire. The only issues: As soon as I got it I replaced the HD (sloooow) with an SSD. Second issue, the first Asus Q540u I had supported a Bamboo stylus, but the second one I purchased didn't, found out the newer ones needed a different type of stylus. Bought a new (cheap) stylus and all is good.

I really like being able to use the stylus when I'm working on models.
Attachments
Image 677.png
John
Maker of Chips

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

I like the fan-less PC's

Kingdel Fanless Mini PC, Powerful Mini Desktop Computer, Intel i5 8th Gen. 4 Cores CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD, 4096x2304, HD Port, LAN, VGA, 4xUSB 3.0, Wi-Fi, Windows 10 Pro

$350 to $500.00 USD
Thanks,
Jim

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Yeah, but he's asking about a laptop...
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The minimum requirements for Aspire ( see: http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... n-software ) are quite, well, minimal.

I would suggest that whatever laptop you get make sure it has an SSD storage drive rather than a physical hard drive. I now have SSDs on my Mac Book Air, my home iMac, and my work Windows boxes and I will never go back to a physical drive.

One of the Windows machines is from 2010 and the increase in program responsiveness is amazing. The processor has the oomph to run the programs well it was all the time needed to swap things in and out to the disk that was a bottle-neck.

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Minimum specs I would consider are Intel i7 8th generation or newer,(a 10th generation i5 processor may perform as well as an i7 8th generation) 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, 4GB Video Card.

Buy as much as you can afford and are comfortable with spending, I view laptops as a 3-4 year lifespan.

CD-ROMs aren't very common any longer on laptops, most can use USB CD ROM drives.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I agree, don't bother with DVD. I'd rather have extra bay that holds another SSD. I hadn't looked at them since I bought a Samsung 2.5" SSD for my old desktop, to boost performance. My new desktop, and most portables, take a SSD in a form factor that looks like a RAM stick. It takes minimal space on the motherboard, and it's way cheaper than the old SSD drives. If you get a DVD containing software that MUST be installed from a DVD drive (rare nowadays), you can rip the DVD to an ISO format (disk image). There are free players that mount that ISO, and it looks just like a DVD to the system. An exception is copy protected stuff.

P.S. I installed a high performance SSD stick in my older ASUS laptop and mounted it as C: drive, the original slow HD, I had the system mount as a D: data drive. My laptop went from SLOWWW to very acceptable in performance. It added another 2-3 years lifespan for $150.

Alan Smiley
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 58

Post by Alan Smiley »

Thanks for all the tips and benefits of experience.

One question remains: Is a touch screen of any benefit when using the modeling functions of Aspire 10? Will the modeling functions even respond to movements on a touch screen?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Alan Smiley wrote:Thanks for all the tips and benefits of experience.

One question remains: Is a touch screen of any benefit when using the modeling functions of Aspire 10? Will the modeling functions even respond to movements on a touch screen?
Yes a touch screen works well with the Aspire very will. I use a cheap stylus when Sculpting.
John
Maker of Chips