Gadget Bootcamp

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Gadget Bootcamp

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello,
I am been working to learn the Vectric Gadget structure, Lua language and SDK toolkit. Most areas I'm pretty comfortable but I have a growing number of deep questions. Does anybody know if there is a Gadget Boot camp available?
Thanks,
Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Gadget Bootcamp

Post by Adrian »

If there was you'd probably have to do it. You seem to have done more with gadgets than most outside of Vectric. Paul Rowntree used to do a lot with them but seems to have stopped now.

I used to write them (some of mine are on the gadgets.vectric.com site) but when toolpath templates and subsequently merged toolpaths came out the reasons for me wanting many gadgets disappeared. The ones I still use on a daily basis are extremely specific to my business.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Adrian wrote:If there was you'd probably have to do it. You seem to have done more with gadgets than most outside of Vectric. Paul Rowntree used to do a lot with them but seems to have stopped now.

I used to write them (some of mine are on the gadgets.vectric.com site) but when toolpath templates and subsequently merged toolpaths came out the reasons for me wanting many gadgets disappeared. The ones I still use on a daily basis are extremely specific to my business.
Thanks Adrian,
I have sent a note to the support team asking the same question. I will see what they come back with. If they don't what to help, I may try to do something, but I would need some help.
Thanks,
Jim

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would certainly encourage you to put together an Intro to Writing Vectric Gadgets. The current process of reading the SDK documentation and reverse-engineering the existing gadgets is not very efficient. A bootcamp document, or Intro and Intermediate tutorials would help to broaden the base of available gadgets.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:I would certainly encourage you to put together an Intro to Writing Vectric Gadgets. The current process of reading the SDK documentation and reverse-engineering the existing gadgets is not very efficient. A bootcamp document, or Intro and Intermediate tutorials would help to broaden the base of available gadgets.
Hi Rcnewcomb,

I agree, the SDK document is good, but I believe it's written for the more professional developer/coder. Now, 40+ years ago, I would have had fewer issues and would have enjoyed the challenge. Today, I am looking to enjoy the result and I believe many of you are the same way. A couple months ago I started pulling together some function libraries, but it is way too difficult to find what I'm looking for. So, I'm going to have to do some more thinking about how to structure a library so that it is more useful.

Now you guys got me thinking about producing some training videos... But I've never developed a training video and I've also don't have the knowledge about what tools are needed to do screen capture videos from the desktop, software to edit them and where to publish them other than YouTube. If anyone has suggestions, I would be happy to review them and see what it would take.

I'm anxiously awaiting what the support team comes back with. I believe their feedback will steer a lot of this.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

One thing I would watch out for is the unexpected workload. Many moons ago I ran a site for Visual Basic and, later on, one for Sketchup in the early days of Ruby plug-ins. I spent a great deal of time setting up samples, documentation etc but I was constantly bombarded with how do I do this or how do I do that despite, nine times out of ten, it being clearly covered in the samples and docs. In the end I realised that many people simply aren't interested in learning they just want you do the work for them. Some had the manners to actually admit that when pointed, for the umpteenth time, to the samples but some get very rude and abusive.

I would really hope it would never get like that with the gadgets but my experience trying to help people who have contacted me via Facebook PM's with general VCarve/Aspire queries over the last couple of years would make me think otherwise.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

jimandi5000 wrote:
Now you guys got me thinking about producing some training videos... But I've never developed a training video and I've also don't have the knowledge about what tools are needed to do screen capture videos from the desktop, software to edit them and where to publish them other than YouTube...

Hi Jim,

There are many software screencap/recording options, but my favorites are SnagIt and Camtasia. Both are from TechSmith.com

SnagIt is not costly and does a great job - very simple and easy to use. Camtasia is their flagship product and has tons of editing tools. However, I don’t use it as much as SnagIt. SnagIt is more than ample for most Tutorial creation needs and does have editing capabilities, too.

Publishing to various media hosts is easy from SnagIt. It is mostly automatic - just click the appropriate icon to upload to your desired media account and “it just works”. TechSmith offers free trials of their software if you want to take a test-drive.

https://www.techsmith.com/
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

mtylerfl wrote:
jimandi5000 wrote:
Now you guys got me thinking about producing some training videos... But I've never developed a training video and I've also don't have the knowledge about what tools are needed to do screen capture videos from the desktop, software to edit them and where to publish them other than YouTube...

Hi Jim,

There are many software screencap/recording options, but my favorites are SnagIt and Camtasia. Both are from TechSmith.com

SnagIt is not costly and does a great job - very simple and easy to use. Camtasia is their flagship product and has tons of editing tools. However, I don’t use it as much as SnagIt. SnagIt is more than ample for most Tutorial creation needs and does have editing capabilities, too.

Publishing to various media hosts is easy from SnagIt. It is mostly automatic - just click the appropriate icon to upload to your desired media account and “it just works”. TechSmith offers free trials of their software if you want to take a test-drive.

https://www.techsmith.com/
Thanks Michael,

I will look into these tools. I am waiting for the support team's response to my request.
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Okay,

I got a response from the support and no luck. So, I will start building some Gadget Boot camp videos. I am also working on a rewrite of the SDK.
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Ok... I have been working on setting up some five-minute Boot Camp style gadget development training videos.

Please have a look and let me know if I am headed in the right direction for these training videos. Since I'm currently unable to speak, I thinking I should be providing some subtitles throughout the video. As soon as I learn how to do that I will be adding them. Just be clear, I've invested zero time in the website that host the videos. So I know I have some work there.

http://www.jimandi.com/VCarve-Tools/Vid ... Video.html

I need some feedback on the videos...
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

jimandi5000 wrote:Ok... I have been working on setting up some five-minute Boot Camp style gadget development training videos.

Please have a look and let me know if I am headed in the right direction for these training videos. Since I'm currently unable to speak, I thinking I should be providing some subtitles throughout the video. As soon as I learn how to do that I will be adding them. Just be clear, I've invested zero time in the website that host the videos. So I know I have some work there.

I need some feedback on the videos...

I'm currently unable to speak, so I found a text to speech software and updated the video. I think this will work until I can narrate the videos. :D
Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

The text-to-speech is a definite improvement over no narration.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

mtylerfl wrote:The text-to-speech is a definite improvement over no narration.
Attachments
images.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Yes, speech is definitely better.

Also, adding close-captioning or subtitles for those of us who spent years around loud machinery without hearing protection would be greatly appreciated.
Hearing37q9s9.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Yes, speech is definitely better.

Also, adding close-captioning or subtitles for those of us who spent years around loud machinery without hearing protection would be greatly appreciated.
Hearing37q9s9.jpg

I am working on it, ;)
Thanks,
Jim