Leveling a log cut off (flattening)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ramblecreekrustics
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Leveling a log cut off (flattening)

Post by ramblecreekrustics »

I have several log cutoffs that I want to flatten to carve some things on. I cannot figure out how to set up a tool path to do this. I've tried profile with a set of circles, nope, didn't work. I also tried a pocket with a .1 depth of cut set, that didn't work either, or I didn't set them up right one or the other.

I have vcarve desktop V9,5 Could someone direct me to the correct way to do this please?

Thanks for your help

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Leveling a log cut off (flattening)

Post by Tailmaker »

You need to give us more info WHAT did not work, maybe some pics and crv files?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The usual way to flatten off a surface is to use a pocket cut. What didn't work when you tried that?

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

How are you mounting the log onto the table/bed? A picture would really help. Whenever I need to surface off a piece, I use the pocket. Easy to setup and control. Like the others, what did not work with the pocket?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Shopbot has a good video on YouTube on how to flatten a log slab.

Steve

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I had an old oak slab that I flattened using a fly cut program and the first type of bit he uses in the video. I didn't even take as deep a cut as he did and my cutter left a lot of marks which required lots of sanding time. So, I'll be shopping for the better bit that uses carbide inserts. The video is well worth watching.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Love that vid 'cause it starts with a couple shots of my machine and firewood/burl :) :)
Dan,
I routinely use the first type of bit, but once I get in the ballpark....next to last pass is less than.002"..and final pass is .005" (usually) run twice.
Normally a minute ore two of 150G gets my surface uniform to work through the grits.

Is your spindle trammed? Get banged or run one of those "Oopsie" toolpaths that may have thrown it out of whack?
Just curious Dan.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

Scott, just a cheap bit that needing some sharpening/honing.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Figure I was preaching to the choir Dan!
Yep..have a few old 1.25" Whiteside Mortising bits like that :)
Still using them occasionally on roughing wet wood and bark cuts that may have some embedded mud while they were firewood....
Then when I get within .2" of where I figure I'll stop....swap over to a fresh/clean Whiteside for last little bit.
Wet wood quickly builds up junk on the cutter, and taking a minute to brass brush it with Bladecote makes a huge difference!
Even bits that Look clean...swiped with a fresh Viva paper towel have a thin coat usually after a few passes that increase sanding :)

Have a few people that regularly do slabs/tabletops and Love that bit for the reduction in sanding...although somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember in some circumstances they removed two of the cutters(?).
If all my stuff wasn't so small...I'd probably invest also:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

I really need to get the carbide insert bit. I have quite a few slabs that need some attention before they re-root themselves and become trees again. The last piece I flattened was around 4"+, had sat protected for over 3 years and still had substantial movement after I cut it. Fortunately it was a piece that accepted the new "character" and folks love it. To be truthful, I have a large Woodhaven Planing Sled and Triton 3.25hp router which should be used for slabs.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

Here is the bit that I use and it is made by Amana. Use it all the time with a pocketing routine and it does a great job:

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-13329-rc-2255.html
Attachments
Walnut.jpg