Wine Box help.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Wine Box help.

Post by BigC »

I am wanting to make a simple slot together box to contain a wine bottle to give out as Christmas gifts to friends and relatives. Nothing fancy
You know the type as an old skool pencil box with a sliding lid. I thought it would be easy to pick up a dfx file online modify and cut to suit my needs but all I can find are files for lasers...Lasers Lasers Lasers everywhere. :( . I haven't got a blinkin laser (well actually I have, a cheapo Chinese job from the Bay of Fleas. It never worked, that's another story)...anyhow - -
I have a few 8mm laminate flooring boards kicking around and I was kinda hoping of using these up and getting them out of the way rather than throwing them in the skip.
Anyone got any leads to some files for the aforementioned box or guidelines on how to make my own. a lot of the vids either don't use CNC Routers or are non-descript/vague in their measurements and I don't want to just make it on the saw table.
This will be my next project for sure so any help on the topic will definitely be appreciated.
I don't particularly want to beg for plans but if I could see someones specific plan, analyze it and adjust it to my needs this would teach me a lot about simple box making wither it be for wine or otherwise
Regards
C

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Wine Box help.

Post by Savannahdan »

I have one that I got from a site with free plans. It can be used with a laser or cnc and can be edited to do what you want. It even includes the inserts that fit inside the box to hold a bottle steady. I've attached the dxf file for it. Be sure to go to Job Dimension and make what alterations you want.
Attachments
Wine Gift Box 91jyd81m.dxf
(207.55 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

The designer is a fellow named Scott Austin. Here's a picture of the box.
Attachments
Wine Gift Box 91jyd81m.jpg

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

I've downloaded the file many thanks.
It looks a tall order but I'll give it a go and see what I can get from it
Regards
C

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Be aware that laminate flooring boards usually have an aluminum oxide wear layer. This is extremely hard and will wear bits rapidly. For example, when I used a carbide tipped saw blade to cut flooring, I found that a (cheap) 60 tooth blade would be dull after cutting the boards for one room (About 25 feet of cutting.).
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Savannahdan wrote:I have one that I got from a site with free plans. It can be used with a laser or cnc and can be edited to do what you want. It even includes the inserts that fit inside the box to hold a bottle steady. I've attached the dxf file for it. Be sure to go to Job Dimension and make what alterations you want.
Thanks for sharing that. Do you have any idea what wood they used to get that result? Is it just plain 1/4" or 1/2" birch plywood?

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

FixitMike wrote:Be aware that laminate flooring boards usually have an aluminum oxide wear layer. This is extremely hard and will wear bits rapidly. For example, when I used a carbide tipped saw blade to cut flooring, I found that a (cheap) 60 tooth blade would be dull after cutting the boards for one room (About 25 feet of cutting.).
Good point buddy.
Regards
C

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

This little Online Box Generator may be of some use to people (there are others)
design a box either in mm or Imperial measurements.
https://en.makercase.com/
Again allowances would have to be made to allow the curvature of the endmills to make sharp corners I would expect.
You can construct a box and download the .dfx from your own dimensions then perhaps modify it.
Regards
C