Shelf Supports

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
ricklach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 1510 Workbee/5'x10 Colossus (home Built)

Shelf Supports

Post by ricklach »

I have to make a number of identical shelf supports. I have created one such support and produced a cut list. In order to replicate the supports I created a mirror copy and then replicated the mirrored copy. However, only one side produced a replicated cut list. Being new to Cut2D I am clearly doing something wrong. I have attached a copy of the mirrored object that I am trying to replicate. My question is do I need to create a cut list for just one object or the complete mirrored object and then replicate the object. If you were making this project what steps would you follow?
Attachments
Shelf Brackets.pdf
(89.37 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Shelf Supports

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The PDF has lots of open vectors. The Vector Validator will help you find them.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

OK, I found the vector validator and corrected all open vectors. Based on my original question, what do I do next?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is a link to the Cut2D help page on the vector validator: ->Link

I've attached the cleaned-up vectors in EPS format for your viewing pleasure.
Attachments
Shelf Brackets.eps
(18.99 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
CleanShelfBrackets.crv
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

ricklach wrote:OK, I found the vector validator and corrected all open vectors. Based on my original question, what do I do next?
Not sure what you're referring to by a "cut list". Do you mean toolpaths? Once you've created the toolpaths for one bracket you just copy as many as you need and then include those in the toolpath and recalculate.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I have created similar brackets and to make multiple pieces you would need to copy and paste the design in your file then in the create toolpath section, highlight them all and hit calculate... This should work for you.

Joe

garv123
Model of CNC Machine: Maxicam m4

Post by garv123 »

Be sure the vectors are all in the correct layer and that "Associate with toolpath" is ticked in the vector selector for each toolpath.

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

I think people are missing the question - let me rephrase. I created a diagram for a single shelf bracket and I need to produce 20 brackets in total. I want to save materiel so I create a mirror image in the horizontal and vertical plane. Here are my questions:

- Once I have created the original drawing, do I create a tool path and then mirror the object (reasoning that the tool path will also be copied); or
- Do I mirror the object and then create a tool path that has twice the number of profiles and then replicate the original and mirror to produce 10 copies (or 20 brackets); or
- Is there a correct way to do accomplish the task of creating 20 brackets with a minimum of materiel that I have not discovered.

I am looking forward to a solution.
Rick

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

From what I think you're asking I would make a left bracket with tool paths, and a right bracket with tool paths and use the Toolpath copy array option.
You should only need to make one set of tool path for this...

Michael
Attachments
array.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding your question.

Do you have the desktop version or the pro version for starters?

There are multiple different ways of doing what you want depending on the version. They are all covered in the tutorial videos.

You can create multiple copies of the vectors and then create the toolpath selecting the multiple vectors as I suggested above by myself and Joe. You can also setup one copy on layers and associate those layers with the toolpath(s) before creating the additional copies as suggested by garv123. Once the copies are created then you just need to click recalculate all to include the new copies.

If you have the Pro version of Cut2D you use the nesting tool to create 20 nested copies and then either of those toolpathing strategies or you can use the Array Copy toolpath tool to create 20 copies directly from a single toolpath. The desktop version does not have either of those tools.

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

I have the pro version. I will try to implement your suggestions and get back to all who have provided comments on my success or failure.