DXF files.

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

DXF files.

Post by helensdad »

Cut2D.png
PTBDRAW.DXF
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Hi all, I am trying to open a DXF file of a model boat which has been set out as a series of A4 size sections. When I try and load it into Cut2D it is tiny and seems to slow the program right down and won't let me rescale any of the sections. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: DXF files.

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Open a new project that is 105" by 55". Then import. Works in Aspire. Don't know about Cut2D
Steve

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

If it's tiny, your job setup is in inches and the dxf file is in millimeters. Go into job setup and change it to mm then import the file. After you imported the file, you can go back into Job setup and change back to inches and it will automatically resize everything.

Gary

helensdad
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Oozenest Ox 500 x 750/Openbuilds Minimil

Post by helensdad »

Many thanks. How will I cut it into suitable sizes for my machine without losing the correct scale?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

How will I cut it into suitable sizes for my machine without losing the correct scale?
Watch this training video on Toolpath Tiling
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Many thanks. How will I cut it into suitable sizes for my machine without losing the correct scale?
Change the job setup to mm BEFORE you import the file. Should be no reason to lose the proper scale. IF you want to work in inches, AFTER you import it, go back into job setup and change back to inches. It will automatically scale to the correct size.

Gary

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Since you are probably not building a full size PT boat with machine guns and torpedoes I figure the dimensions are in inches.

That drawing is going to be a lot of work.

First thing I would do is make a copy and then remove all the lettering, that will reduce the file size a lot and make it easier to deal with. Then I would export each group (they are actually arranged on "sheets" already) as a separate file. After that it will get a lot easier. I notice that most of the vectors are not closed so you will need to use the join tool.

There is also some overlapping geometry that you will have to find and get rid of.

Neat model!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Wabeco F1410 LF-C HS; Sorotec AL1110

Post by vip-klaus »

Hi all,

I have a related question to the dxf import to Aspire V10: most of my dxf-files uses a specific unit for the included vectors (i.e. inch, cm or mm). This unit is defined inside the header of the dxf-file using a parameter called "$INSUNITS". But Aspire does not care about this parameter and always uses the unit which is defined in the job setup.

Is there a way to tell Aspire to use the unit which is defined inside the dxf-file? Maybe as a feature for an upcomming update? :lol:

regards
Klaus
Attachments
DXF-header.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

No way that I know of but if you open the file rather than importing it it's obvious from the job setup that is displayed whether it should be metric or imperial and you can click the units you want at that stage.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

garylmast wrote:If it's tiny, your job setup is in inches and the dxf file is in millimeters.
In this case the DXF is in inches and the Cut2D file is in mm. Dilemma but different units of measure.
vip-klaus wrote:Is there a way to tell Aspire to use the unit which is defined inside the dxf-file? Maybe as a feature for an upcomming update?
You can use "Set Selected Objects Size" and use 2540% as the scaling factor to convert the inches to mm.

Steven

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice

Post by vip-klaus »

Thanks to all. I know that the size can be scaled. But my hope was, that there is a way to force Aspire to use the units included inside the dxf file.

No big problem at all.

Klaus

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I find the much software ignores any encoded units of measure. When I pulled that DXF file into Rhinoceros to look at it Rhino wanted me to confirm an import of mm (I created a mm model space). It nicely scaled the file when I said inches but still it didn't offer inches as default...

Steven

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice

Post by vip-klaus »

Same here. I opened the dxf file using CATIA V5 (!) and it doesn't recognize the included units. Finally I tried Alibre Design and: wow, it saw the units correctely. Then I changed the units inside the Alibre settings and stored the dxf-file with the corrected units. Fantastic!

I will ask the Vectric staff to include this behavior as a new feature for an upcomming release af Aspire.

Klaus

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

most of my dxf-files uses a specific unit for the included vectors (i.e. inch, cm or mm). This unit is defined inside the header of the dxf-file using a parameter called "$INSUNITS".
Technically, INSUNITS does not specify the units of the drawing. It specifies the units of blocks or other items imported into the drawing. (when importing into AutoCAD)
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice

Post by vip-klaus »

Yes maybe. But the result is the same. If I import a dxf file including a circle with diameter 10 cm, Aspire creates a circle with diameter 10 mm or 10 inch - depending of the setup I choose for the current part.

Unfortunately sometimes I have to use an specific design tool to create shapes of guitars and this tool only works with inches or cm. And as a german, I don't work with inches.