Can you move 2 parts on the preview screen

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Can you move 2 parts on the preview screen

Post by cusoak »

I did a file to cut some finger joints .box joints .
After I ran the tool path and deleated the extra wood, I was hopeful that I was going to be able to rotate the 2 pieces to see if they would fit together.
I was not able to do so,or it does not have that feature.
Any ideas I attached the file
Thanks Jeff Peters
Attachments
New First finger design try.crv
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Can you move 2 parts on the preview screen

Post by highpockets »

No, you can't move parts of the preview.
John
Maker of Chips

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

As Highpockets said, you can't move parts relative to each other in the preview screen.

That said, with vectors that fit together and using a 1/16" bit profiling ON the line your parts won't fit. If you profile outside the line then the parts will fit except for the inside corners which will have a fillet 1/2 the radius of the bit used.
To cut conventional finger joints that fit without any extra cleanup work the parts need to be clamped vertically and cut from the end. Once you can clamp boards vertically or at any angle all sorts of joinery is possible.

4D:
http://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/2016/05 ... c-cut.html

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Ok I will try that.
I am do this as test to see if I can design box joints by using the polyline tool and smart snapping to come up with the vector.
So that I then cut them vertical off the front of my machine using a .25 end mil
So with that said I need to figure out how orinent how the toolpath should look on the material.
I know that there is a gadget that does the set up to cut on top of the cnc.
I also found a gadget an collage engineer did to use with vcarve pro 7 or 8.
But could not find out from vectric if ti would still work.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you tried Jims' new gadget - http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=33179

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

No I have no I will check it out today.
Thanks Adrian

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I have taken the parts you are designing (.5" panels with mating finger joints) and created a 3D model of each part and then put the parts together using same program. The program also has the capability of checking for inference fit. Your parts are a tight fit according to the program verification for interference fit.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

fingerjoints_matchup.jpg
Here is the image after mating of parts.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

For something with critical fit like that, I personally feel it's a best practice to burn some inexpensive material of the same thickness as your intended project to get it right before committing to the expensive stuff. Over time, there will be less need for that because you'll learn what the allowances required are for the kind of work you do so less "test pieces" have to be born. But it's ALWAY better to screw something up on scrap or scrap-able material rather than do something nasty to material that's expensive or irreplaceable. (due to special figure, etc.)

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I was hopeful that I was going to be able to rotate the 2 pieces to see if they would fit together.
Just moving the vectors together would accomplish the same thing.
As would simply measuring them with the measure or dimension tools.

The reality, though, as Jim says, is that you'll need to make some test cuts to adjust the fit. You'll find that actual tool size, and machine deflection will influence the fit.
I've seen machine deflection result in nearly 1/16" gaps in joints that should be tight.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Thanks to You all for the great advice. The other day I was playing around and did some moving around od the vector on that screen and the looked like the did fit. Also Yes to doing test pieces.
For me I do that most always on a new design to make sure it is going to cut the way I think it should.
Was it a big deal to make those in to models. And would it be a short story has how to do that?
Thanks Jeff.
Ps I am going to up grade to version 10 soon, what if any thing will I need to save someplace,else as to not lose it.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

ger21 wrote:

The reality, though, as Jim says, is that you'll need to make some test cuts to adjust the fit. You'll find that actual tool size, and machine deflection will influence the fit.
I've seen machine deflection result in nearly 1/16" gaps in joints that should be tight.
Ger' actually brings up an important point...tooling affects fit and despite the fact that tooling is sold in "standard" sizes, there are always small variations in what the actual size is between two different tools of the "same" size, it can change slightly with use/wear and definitely changes if they get resharpened. For intricate joinery, if you cut the same file in the future, you still need to do at least one test cut to insure that any variables between "then" and "now" are accounted for. Thousandths can matter for tight fitting things. That said, one also has to plan for room for the glue, too... ;)