Applying Template using old CNC Bit info

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Applying Template using old CNC Bit info

Post by mtylerfl »

This was a very interesting read! The solution you offered is brilliant, Adrian!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TSmith88
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud

Post by TSmith88 »

Adrian wrote:That's correct and yes you would need a different variable for each different tool in your toolpaths so if you were using a 1/8" tool, a 1/2" tool and a 3/8" tool you would need three different variables but you've only got to set them up once.
Great, I can work with that.

Thank you so much for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

I'm reviving this post because I want to make sure I'm not thinking about things backwards, as I have done in the past.

If my 3/8" tool is set to .375" in the toolpath database, but the actual tool mics to .345" my document variable should be -(.03") because the tool is smaller than actual setting, or should it actually be +(.03")

If I'm thinking about it correctly, my tool is smaller than the settings for the bit, so my toolpath should be made smaller and would be -(.03") Is my thinking correct on this?

And on the other hand if my tool measures larger, if for some reason my bit measured .395" I would change the variable to be +(.02") to make the toolpath larger?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If the tool is larger than the nominal size then you would need to move the toolpath away from the vector. If it was smaller then you would need to move it closer. If you're unsure of which way round to put the value just make it much larger than you would in reality and you'll clearly see which way it's going in the 2D preview.

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

Adrian wrote:If the tool is larger than the nominal size then you would need to move the toolpath away from the vector. If it was smaller then you would need to move it closer. If you're unsure of which way round to put the value just make it much larger than you would in reality and you'll clearly see which way it's going in the 2D preview.
Exactly what I was thinking, thank you so much for your help.

One last question, is there a way to apply an edit that will save the variables and use those numbers for future nests, or do I need to edit the variables before toolpathing each job? Or do I need to toolpath, then update the variables, then recalculate?

I know I'm being a bit of a pain but I'm trying to get a good understanding of this program so I can minimize errors in cutting material before I cut it wrong.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The last value you used will be saved in the file so if the tool is different from the last time you used the file you would need to update the variable before recalculating the toolpaths.

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

Adrian wrote:The last value you used will be saved in the file so if the tool is different from the last time you used the file you would need to update the variable before recalculating the toolpaths.
Perfect. Thanks for all your help. Learning how to use these variables will save me a TON of time moving forward.

I appreciate everyone's help on this forum, especially you Adrian. This one post will be such a massive help for future jobs, I want to make sure it's completely accurate so I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but you know what they say "Garbage in, garbage out" and I want to make sure I'm not contributing to my shops garbage pile with incorrect programming.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

TSmith88 wrote:If my 3/8" tool is set to .375" in the toolpath database, but the actual tool mics to .345" my document variable should be -(.03") because the tool is smaller than actual setting, or should it actually be +(.03")
Shouldn't the {CutterComp} variable be set to 1/2 the difference between actual and nominal bit-size? So in this case -0.15". My reasoning is that the other 0.015" is "on the other side of the centre line".

Steven

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Whenever I use tool offset values I verify the correct ± sign by viewing the solid toolpath. Zooming in will show if I got it correctly.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

tomgardiner wrote:Whenever I use tool offset values I verify the correct ± sign by viewing the solid toolpath. Zooming in will show if I got it correctly.

I usually find I have it backwards.... Even with that 50/50 shot :roll: