Vectric Certification Program/Test

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Vectric Certification Program/Test

Post by newmexico »

I'm not sure if the current rankings of forum members is based on the number of posts, years on the forum or by some kind of certification program.
It would be helpful to know that.
Maybe a certification program/test might be the key?

For example, how many of us know VECTORS all that well? Node editing, offset paths, line weights, font manipulation? How many nodes does it take to make a circle? (Two, not hundreds).

It would be nice to know that the advice being given out here on this forum comes from knowledge and experience and CERTIFICATION.

(Sorry if this is viewed as the start of a forum brawl. Not my intention to do that.)

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Vectric Certification Program/Test

Post by Leo »

I Don't think you will be starting any sort of a brawl.

There is no certification program, and there is nothing that anybody does to gain the "title"

It is ENTIRELY up to Vectric to apply the title.

I think they do it by virtue of number of posts.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yep, the apprentice, craftsman, wizard, archmage titles are from the number of posts. In the early days VCarve was called VCarve Wizard so I guess that's where those titles came from? The phpBB software does the ranking automatically from what I remember from when I used to run a forum.

Some people (including myself) do make mistakes when trying to help but those are always swiftly corrected by others so you can, IMO, rely on the information given. Generally I try to steer clear of posts which are about items I'm weak on (3D modelling, rotary) unless it's a really basic question. My expertise is with vectors, the production tools (nesting, templates), gadgets and computers/software in general so I only get really involved if its along those lines.

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

Thanks for not getting mad, gentlemen. I thought it a worthy subject to bring up.

I'm a vector guy mostly. 30 years working with those darn graphics.
I'm not an expert with my machines. We've got them set up to do the work for us and that's about as far as I go with the CNC technology. Heck, I haven't read the owners manual yet.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

I've often been called the Jack-of-all Trades, Master of None. :lol:

I doubt in my remaining years [77 next month] that I will ever master all of Aspire/V-carve, but I do like to try just about everything I can.
The important thing on this forum is all the good folks out there that are willing to help!
The number of posts does not qualify the person, even though there are a lot of folks that know a lot, often it just means they've been around awhile ie: more years = more posts. :D
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Just to add... the titles on each member of the forum is set by the admin of the forum and they can call them anything that they would like. But it is based on the number of posts. It is part of the forum program. Every forum program/software has that ability. It is to promote members to so-called, get involved. It has nothing to do with their knowledge, skills or abilities of anything. Also, the admin can title certain members as something relating to the company or forum, such as an employee. They don't need to post anything to change their title.

Although I still consider myself a newbie with Vcarve and CNC, I do have expertise in other areas which may be helpful to some questions or issues. I hope none of us ever reply with, "this is how it will be" type replies. However, if we are responding to questions or issues that have already been covered... what is wrong with believing that we have some expertise with that item? I think we are all just learning as we go along. The real experts are the actual programmers. And I doubt that they hang on the forums.

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Personally, I've never been one to chase titles or, for that matter, put much stock in titles. I retired as a Senior Engineer and wasn't sure that was because of my knowledge or my age :?
As far as this forum goes I should be titled "Gleaner" as right now I attempting to learn the craft in a large part from others experiences. Also, what I have gained from cutting other peoples designs have proved invaluable as I don't just cut the design rather dissect the file to learn methods.

I will say that this forum has the best participants I have seen on any forum.
Maybe I don't know what I don't know however, I haven't read any posts here that were misleading or malicious.
Someday, I hope I will be able to help someone else rather than just learn from others knowledge.

Kudos to Vectric and Vectric users whatever their "Title".

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Post by jay pieper »

Because of the post of rtibbs and others, I catch up on the forum on a daily basis.
It is a wealth of knowledge and information to people like myself. It has been my
experience when reading the posts information is gained on projects I was working
on and the light went on to solve my problem.

I guess I really never concerned myself what there particular title was, but only
that the information was right. I have found that to be true on this forum.

For what it is worth that is my 2 cents worth, and thank you to all those who helped me
we questions no matter what your ranking is.

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Post by carbidetooth »

I've been told that I'm certifiable. Though I'm not sure that would qualify me in this case.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

carbidetooth wrote:I've been told that I'm certifiable. Though I'm not sure that would qualify me in this case.
Good one, Peter!
:D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Fail to post for a while and you can also be demoted! LOL.

A few years back I was really busy and did not have much time for the forum. I signed on one day and discovered that I was once again an apprentice or some such.

I don't put much stock in those labels. A person with tons of experience can arrive here and the label means nothing.

Now and then I will misread what someone is asking or just plain screw up. I try to follow up and am quick to admit when I am wrong.

Due to get a colonoscopy next month so I am working on the certification for the Doctor to sign after he is finished, in part it will read:

"Be it known, that after due and diligent examination I can unequivocally state that Ted's head is definitely not up his rear end." About five years ago I made up a really official looking one, complete with fancy border, flowing script. The doc asked if he could make a copy of it for his office wall.

I have had a couple of these over the years. ::::sigh:::: the day before is never fun, lemme tell ya.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I have had a couple of these over the years. ::::sigh:::: the day before is never fun, lemme tell ya.

I feel ya brother!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

"Be it known, that after due and diligent examination I can unequivocally state that Ted's head is definitely not up his rear end."

Wait...I hear some jokes coming. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I'm QUITE certain sheet good/cabinet/professional people are POSITIVE I'm "Certifiable" and skip my posts. :D

BUT, what I love about the forum is the wild diversity of experience and projects, and so many ways to draw and cut.
Always looking for options on skinning that poor cat :wink:

Most people TRY not to post advice opinions on stuff they don't know about...BECAUSE they're certain to be corrected:)
I LIKE the diversity of the different methods, and different people have different needs for a product/project.
What I really love is the attitude of most here..we just try to help :D

I don't care about the "Level" of a person....it just matters if it may help me with a problem now or in the future.
scott

:D Yep..all depends on how far up the head is :)
Some people just have to open their mouths and say "AAAH" :D
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by maineshops »

Well said Scott