"Group Create" Icon

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CNCDaveToo
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot D2418

"Group Create" Icon

Post by CNCDaveToo »

Creating a group is not available in the Toolpath list until there is at least one toolpath (and then only via a right-click while hovering within the context of the Toolpath List). This prevents creating a group structure at the beginning of a job, then adding toolpaths to groups within that structure. For example, I might want to create a list of groups like:
  • Frame Segments
    Face Segments
    Inlays - Light
    Inlays - Dark
    Pockets
Then as I build the toolpaths, I can add them to the appropriate group.

To achieve this, you might consider adding an "Add Group" icon to the list of Toolpath Operations icons. This would both allow for adding a group prior to creating toolpaths, as well as highlighting the feature to users.
Be kind.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Re: "Group Create" Icon

Post by pknvectric »

This is my most needed feature-add. (No, color coding is not adequate.) I have dozens and dozens of toolpaths (AND Layers) which I spend entirely too much time scrolling through to find what I need / want. (And after I've been out of a Vectric file for a few weeks/months it's entirely too difficult to reintroduce myself to my file because it is so difficult to organize. (Granted, this is a shortcoming of my mind as much as the UI.)) :D

In the interim I have created an organization system. I.e. All of my "Face Frame Segments" might be labels 100_xyz, 101_abc, 102_etc. But this is extremely time consuming because when I (inevitably) have to rename / reorganize it wastes volumes of my time.

To be able to GROUP and have a "+" sign to be able to expand / contract the group would be a huge User Interface improvement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

pknvectric wrote: To be able to GROUP and have a "+" sign to be able to expand / contract the group would be a huge User Interface improvement.
The ability to create toolpath groups was added in V10 which expands/contract in the way you want.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

There is currently a plan to reform groups a little bit to add some of those intuitive operations that we missed for V10.

I say "plan" because we've not entirely specified internally what we'll do on this subject, but i just thought I'd let you know :)

Your input is greatly appreciated and will be taken into account when specifying the feature set.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++