Molly file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Molly file

Post by cusoak »

I downloaded the Molly file and now I need to know what I have to do to use it. when I clicked on the icon it asked if I wanted to make changes. I said yes.
So now what do I do.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Molly file

Post by Adrian »

I presume you mean you're running the installer and Windows is asking if it's ok to make changes?

After you clicked Yes you should get the usual installation dialog appear. It's just a matter of clicking Next a couple of times, making a note of the install path and then Finish from there.

If you can't see the install dialog look on your Windows taskbar for a grey circle with a router bit in the middle and click on that to bring it to the front.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Ummm. what is a Molly File?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ezurick wrote:Ummm. what is a Molly File?
The Molly tutorial.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... _Toolpaths

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

I loaded the file it asked me if I wanted to load vcarve pro 9.5 I chose to not do that as I all ready have all of the up dates for 9.5
So now what do I do. Am I going to get to it through vcarve pro or some other way.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you've downloaded the tutorial recently from the website then it will be in V10 format. You won't be able to load it into V9.5.

If you download it from the link in the Tutorial Video Browser in the version you have then it should download the installer in the correct version for what you're using.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I believe I understand the problem. After an individual clicks the .exe file and follows those instructions the files are loaded to their computer. But Unfortunately it does not say where those files are located on their computer. So they (especially an individual who is not computer savvy) are left in limbo because they do not know where the files are.

They are usually downloaded to the Vectric Files Folder in windows (C:) > Users > Public >Public Documents > Vectric Files

In the Vectric Files folder are other necessary files for VCarve Clipart Config Design & Make Documentation Gadgets Material Images Tutorial Files

In the Tutorial Files there may be various folders of different versions folders of VCarve (example: VCarve Pro 8.0, VCarve Pro 9.0, VCarve Pro 9.5)

Click the latest one and in that folder should be the Childs_Name_Plate Tutorial files and any other Tutorials you may have downloded from Vectric.

Vectric should add a link of some kind to their vectric programs for their Tutorials Files Maybe something same as or like the Open Application Data folder name it Open Tutorial Files Folder!

I am Computer Savvy and I had some difficulty finding the files early on!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The installer does say where the files are installed. After the Install button is clicked a popup dialog is displayed which shows the pathname of where the tutorial has been installed. It repeats if more than one product has been chosen during the installation phase.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I would also like to say that the requester popups are a little mis leading.

They have choices checked as to which components are to be installed items checked read as follows:

Aspire v9.0
VCarve Pro 9.0

Now if you are not so computer savvy you would be thinking why are they asking me if I want these --- I already have those programs installed All I am interested in is the tutorial files.

I being computer Savvy understand that Vectric is just asking/telling me --- Which version of Tutorial Files are you wanting for the program in which you own?

Hope this makes sense!!

Adrian I just performed the operations and it did not state the location of Files!!! It just stated they are downloaded to your computer and ready to use.

It would be nice if there was a link in the program to access these files once they have been downloaded. Just Saying!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Well I found the Molly file on my computer. there is a file folder called child's name plaque which is empty. Is that right?
then there are 2 Chrome icons 1 says 2d toolpaths
The other says vector drawing Is that right.
both of those take you to the video is that right.
I was expecting that there would be some info on name Molly like what font how it was overlapped and so forth, But nothing. Is that info somewhere else.
Is this just where the video has been downloaded.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

sharkcutup wrote: Adrian I just performed the operations and it did not state the location of Files!!! It just stated they are downloaded to your computer and ready to use.
The download is an installer. You have to run that file (double click) to install the tutorial files. It's the installer that displays the popup to say where they are installed. Where the actual download goes is a function of the internet browser being used and nothing to do with Vectric.
sharkcutup wrote: It would be nice if there was a link in the program to access these files once they have been downloaded. Just Saying!!!
There is. Once the files have been installed you can go to the Video Tutorial Browser from the VCarve startup screen or the Help menu and go the relevant tutorial. Now rather than the option to download the files it now gives you the option to open the folder where the files are installed. You can then just double click on the file you want as normal to open it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

cusoak wrote:Well I found the Molly file on my computer. there is a file folder called child's name plaque which is empty. Is that right?
then there are 2 Chrome icons 1 says 2d toolpaths
The other says vector drawing Is that right.
both of those take you to the video is that right.
I was expecting that there would be some info on name Molly like what font how it was overlapped and so forth, But nothing. Is that info somewhere else.
Is this just where the video has been downloaded.
You should have a folder called Childs_Name_Plaque. Inside that there should be another folder called Child_Name_Plaque_FILES that contains the files referenced in the tutorial.

If you have nothing in those locations you are either looking in the wrong place or you didn't run the installer after downloading it.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

OK something I did on the first try of downloading the first one that I did not get all of the files. So I finally got it.
The only trouble is that it does not show how the name Molly was created, which is what I want to learn how to do.
Is that in some other video that I can watch and download.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The name is made from the Bandicoot or similar font by the look of it. There is an EPS file in the folder that you can load that shows the letters before they are welded together.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Jeff Peters