This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: VCP10 .25mm Tapered Ball Nose problem

Post by scottp55 »

Oops :oops:
Time for another coffee Greg....SORRY!
Sent that low res Lobster "Attn; Mark" at support...Hope it eventually gets to you :oops:
Sorry about the name mix up...doing 4 things at once right now...and never WAS good at multi-tasking..never mind Now!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Luckily we have a Mark in development, he will just have to fix it instead :)

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Adam :)
Guess I'll have to re-read "How to make friends and influence people"....sure not making friends across the Pond with this one! :D

Just an update as I sent that low res clipart Lobster file to Support, and they found that changing from my 5% stepover, to 6% gave more expected results :)
Doesn't help me yet, as I'm one of the low-stepover,hate sanding details off I spent hours getting, Junkies:)
Seems stepover may be the culprit?
Currently running with the Option for Use New Raster...OFF
JUST sent Support 2 of my "Buddha Cave" test cut files on that little Walnut branch last week....
the one I cut with VCP9.518, and then the same exact file opened in VCP10 and hit Recalculate All Toolpaths....
and in V10, I got the "Colorful" version on preview.
They are working on it, and may be in the the next Patch?
Thank You Vectric!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Scott doesn't seem to be just the stepover that causes the problems, I have tried a couple of these odd shapes & they seem to machine as expected if the raster angle is set to 0 (zero).
Might be worth you trying that with the new raster option turned on to see what sort of results you get.

Oh just so you know, you haven't lost this friend from across the pond :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Martin! :)
l'll have to try that as well!
Normally like to jig my wood closest to me for inspection from the wheelchair, and cut across the grain normally(which for me is 90 degree raster).
Hopefully they'll fix it before this dog has to learn a new trick:)
Luckily next planned cut is "Buddha Cave" in a piece of figured Maple firewood, that needs finish scraping, and then 2-3 coats on 5 sides, so I can use a mild bleach on some unsightly mold marks on the Bark side. May be a while as house staining days are getting very limited here!

(GOOD to know!!!!) :)
scot
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have a reasonably big CNC Scott so quite often cutting with or across the grain is determined by how I put the stock on the machine rather than how it is set up in the software, my default raster angle is 0 deg which is how I first noticed I was getting a different result to John with the same model :lol: :lol:

gregk
Vectric Staff

Post by gregk »

mtylerfl wrote:Well, yes - Offset strategy never had the “jumping around” issue. Only Raster had/has.

The version 10 has implemented some new calculations for reducing “jumps” when Raster strategy is used. In my own testing, some Raster carve “jumps” are indeed reduced or eliminated, others not so much.

Many variables, including overall shape, the amount of Boundary Offset, stepover setting, ...
Hi Michael,

Do you mind sending us some of your files where new raster is not so successful? Ideally with some remarks on what would you expect. That would really help us making it better.

Greg K

gregk
Vectric Staff

Post by gregk »

Just an update. I looked into it and I can reproduce it on even a very simple (and small) pocket. The root cause seems to be that stepover (in absolute terms) is so small, it felt below the tolerance, that is used to determine if two points are really coincident.
As one can imagine, this can easily confuse any algorithm.

The good news is that there is a straightforward solution, however we need to do some more testing. Please don't expect it to be in the next patch, although we will try to fix this issue as soon as possible.
I will post here when a patch containing a fix for this issue will become available. For the moment the only option is to switch off new raster on toolpaths if this issue occurs.

Greg K

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks for the update Greg.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

gregk wrote:
Hi Michael,

Do you mind sending us some of your files where new raster is not so successful? Ideally with some remarks on what would you expect. That would really help us making it better.

Greg K
Hi Greg,

A recent file you can experiment with is the Faucet Foto Frame project (not the water drop, but the bricks, pipes and faucet one). That file “skips” at the faucet handle area, using either the “old” or “new” Raster strategy.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gregk
Vectric Staff

Post by gregk »

Just to let you know, we have released a patch to version 10.012, that should fix the issue with using new raster with small stepovers.

Michael,

Thanks for pointing me to the Faucet Foto Frame project. I can see what the issue is and it gave me some ideas, now I just need some time to try those out.

Greg K

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Seems MUCH improved on those simple test files Greg:)
(Have to wait a bit to rerun "Buddha" I'll actually cut)
Thanks!! :)

Lobster test;
9.16.19 V10 TEST LOBSTER 5 PERCENT 1MMTBN.jpg
2019-10-08 VCP10.012 NEW RASTER TEST.jpg
Squirrel test;
9.15.19 VCP10 FINISH FINISH TOOLPATH .25MMTBN 1.jpg
2019-10-08 VCP10.012 NEW RASTER TEST SQUIRREL.jpg
scott
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

gregk wrote:
Michael,

Thanks for pointing me to the Faucet Foto Frame project. I can see what the issue is and it gave me some ideas, now I just need some time to try those out.

Greg K
Excellent! Glad it is helpful.

All projects come out fully carved, regardless. But I sometimes “worry” that end-users might be surprised when a Raster skips a spot (but then returns later on to finish up). It’s never bothered me that much, really. I’ve never had a “witness mark” at areas where this occurred but know some users have.

Thank you for all your hard work, Greg! Much appreciated!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC