Lithophane creation

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Re: Lithophane creation

Post by fretsman68 »

adze_cnc wrote:One column missing from the website screenshot is for "Photo VCarve" (PVC) which has a check next to "Lithophane Creation".

When viewing the product page for PVC is the quote:
PhotoVCarve is included with VCarve Desktop Version 10, VCarve Pro Version 10, and Aspire Version 10.
As PVC can create lithophanes and PVC is included with VCarve then in a round-about way VCarve can create a lithophanes---not directly within VCarve but with the included PVC program.
I can see that on the PVC page as well but I just installed VCarve 10 and not seeing PVC? How do I get to that program if it is included?
--------------
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I think they're referring to the PhotoVCarve toolpath not the PhotoVCarve product but it is far from clear on the web page. I haven't heard of any mention of PhotoVCarve being a bundled product.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Adrian wrote:I think they're referring to the PhotoVCarve toolpath not the PhotoVCarve product but it is far from clear on the web page. I haven't heard of any mention of PhotoVCarve being a bundled product.
Hi, Adrian, did you mean the following that was written on this page? https://www.vectric.com/products/photovcarve
Please Note: PhotoVCarve is included with VCarve Desktop Version 10, VCarve Pro Version 10 and Aspire Version 10. PhotoVCarve can also be purchased on its own.
Sure sounds like the program itself is indeed included?
--------------
Dave

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the program itself is not included what is included is the Photo VCarve toolpath strategy. The message on the PVC product page is to ensure that nobody buys PhotoVCarve inadvertently when they actually have the photoVCarve strategy included in their product. We will update that warning to make it clearer.

Thanks,
Adam

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

AdamJ wrote:Hi all,

Just to clarify, the program itself is not included what is included is the Photo VCarve toolpath strategy. The message on the PVC product page is to ensure that nobody buys PhotoVCarve inadvertently when they actually have the photoVCarve strategy included in their product. We will update that warning to make it clearer.

Thanks,
Adam
Wow, this is getting out of hand by Vectric. I know mistakes are made but you guys have pulled quite a few of these in the past few days (that some have actually found, not Vectric). These things (such as the free PVC and free upgrade emails), are getting a little frustrating to see......The emails maybe, but that PhotoVcarve page was CLEARLY showing that the software was involved with the other software purchases (part of the reason I upgraded!!).
--------------
Dave

Jhodge76
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by Jhodge76 »

This is why I asked in a different thread if Vectric had planned updates for the new toolpathing. Based on a video they posted I was under the impression that PVC was fully integrated into Vcarve10.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

I'm lost. I thought you could do a lithopane with photovcarve? I kind of remember watching a YouTube video or reading an article about how to do it once, but never tried due to lack of material.

rab3rd
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by rab3rd »

They changed it but forgot to remove it from Photo Vcarve, so Aspire and Photo Vcarve can create lithophanes.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Mikehell wrote:I'm lost. I thought you could do a lithopane with photovcarve? I kind of remember watching a YouTube video or reading an article about how to do it once, but never tried due to lack of material.
You absolutely could, "Mikehell" but they (Vectric) said on the PhotoVCarve page that it was included in the upgrade, but now they're saying they made a mistake and the whole program wasn't included, only just the toolpath.

This is what they said on the PhotoVCarve Page:
Please Note: PhotoVCarve is included with VCarve Desktop Version 10, VCarve Pro Version 10 and Aspire Version 10. PhotoVCarve can also be purchased on its own.
Now they fixed it and it now says:
Please Note: The V-Groove Machining Strategy is also included with VCarve Desktop Version 10, VCarve Pro Version 10 and Aspire Version 10. PhotoVCarve can also be purchased on its own.
--------------
Dave

RickSokol
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD

Post by RickSokol »

The inclusion of Photo V Carve was one of the reasons I upgraded. Not very happy with Vectric right now.

rab3rd
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by rab3rd »

Been a lot of "human errors" on this one... Check and recheck, glad my upgarde was free....

firechief
Model of CNC Machine: MachMate

Post by firechief »

I did buy the upgrade with lithophane creation and photo in mind. I was looking at the forum to see what I was not understanding and found out you can't... Not good at all.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

wb9tpg wrote:
Xxray wrote:Vectric staff clearly made an error in listing capabilities, I note the graphic in question has not changed a full 24 hours after it was pointed out. Tough to tell why the Lithophane Preview / Simulation feature is even included, seems to be nothing more than a teaser.
I'd speculate they were working on it and only had time to get half it done before the announce date. But that's just a WAG. Honest mistakes happen all the time.
Well, I'll speculate that if my web page contained errors that was pissing off paying customers and making them feel cheated, I'd have taken care of it in about 3 minutes. We all know they are good, talented folks and honest too but an honest mistake is a mistake nonetheless, staff is coming across to me as nonchalant about the whole thing ,,, And now we have multiple errors. I don't have a stake in this, have had both Aspire and PVC for years, I'm just not impressed how this is being handled and hope they do the right thing and take actual responsibility for these almost comically bad errors, as if there is some language gap or something.
Doug

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Xxray wrote:And now we have multiple errors. I don't have a stake in this, have had both Aspire and PVC for years, I'm just not impressed how this is being handled and hope they do the right thing and take actual responsibility for these almost comically bad errors, as if there is some language gap or something.
Why is everyone bitching? They have already stated that if anyone bought an upgrade based upon their advertising error, they would they would take back the upgrade and refund the money spent. What more do you want? Have any of the complainers actually sent Vectric an email or called them? Or just bitch on the forums..... :?

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

Keep in mind you can convert an image to an .stl with standard free Windows tools (3d-Builder is part of Win10) and that is not really a bad app.
You can then import the .stl to Vcarve and do your lithophane including preview. Does not help for photo vcarve, though....