Aspire Version 10 is available now!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Terry Williams
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra 510

Re: Aspire Version 10 is available now!

Post by Terry Williams »

Beautiful work!

Two questions:

1.) Is there a "Known Problems" list for version 10?
2.) Will I be able to use 9.518 simultaneously with version 10 during the transition?

I watched your excellent New Features video and to my delight, I found my wish list for new features was decimated by the new additions.

I am hoping the stability of pre version 10 functionality will be there during the transition from 9.518 to 10. Your development team has done a great job so far - minor releases seem to be very stable but there is a lot of new and changed code in this release introducing some risk.

I do not want to risk breaking an existing production work if version 10 introduces issues when incorporating custom elements. We add Company names and other items to personalize some of our products and would need to be able to revert to 9.518 if necessary.

Thanks!
Terry
Camaster Cobra 510

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Question 1 I have no idea about but as for question 2 then the answer is yes & no :lol: :lol:

To explain a little further, v10 is a seperate fresh instal so you will have both versions on your machine at the same time & can use both versions, but the downside is that there is no backward compatability between the versions so if you designed something in V10 you wouldn't be able to open it in 9.5 , anything done in 9.5 can be opened in v10 :lol: :lol:

If it helps at all i have been using the software since V7 (vcarve) & here have been some major changes since then I have ever really had any problems with upgrades :lol: :lol:

Awful lot of money for an upgrade.
Is it worth it?

I would have to agree with dealguy11 the upgrade cost is relative, to some it may be a lot, to some it may not be worth it but to others it is worth that & more.
I also think Vectric are very good with their upgrade policy & wish other companies were as good. I have expensive signmaking software, the upgrade prices are normally pretty high & if you miss one then at the next upgrade you pay extra on the upgrade price, miss 2 upgrades & you are back to paying full price.

Terry Williams
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra 510

Post by Terry Williams »

So is it safe to assume that version 9.518 will still function from a licensing standpoint?

I guess there is a new license key for enabling Version 10 and the old license key will remain valid for 9.518 as opposed to transferring the licensing credentials from the older version to the new.

I have PDF writing software that requires me to remove licensing data for the old version before I can use it to enable the new version - just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be left hanging in the unlikely event that there is a problem.

Thanks,
Terry
Camaster Cobra 510

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Terry Williams wrote:So is it safe to assume that version 9.518 will still function from a licensing standpoint?
If it's that important, you should email Vectric support, rather than listening to random forum users. But yes, version 10 should have no effect at all on your functioning 9.518. :)

1.) Is there a "Known Problems" list for version 10?
If there were any "known issues", it probably wouldn't have been released. But there are most certainly some bugs that have yet to be found.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

martin54 wrote:Question 1 I have no idea about but as for question 2 then the answer is yes & no :lol: :lol:

To explain a little further, v10 is a seperate fresh instal so you will have both versions on your machine at the same time & can use both versions, but the downside is that there is no backward compatability between the versions so if you designed something in V10 you wouldn't be able to open it in 9.5 , anything done in 9.5 can be opened in v10 :lol: :lol:

If it helps at all i have been using the software since V7 (vcarve) & here have been some major changes since then I have ever really had any problems with upgrades :lol: :lol:

Awful lot of money for an upgrade.
Is it worth it?

I would have to agree with dealguy11 the upgrade cost is relative, to some it may be a lot, to some it may not be worth it but to others it is worth that & more.
I also think Vectric are very good with their upgrade policy & wish other companies were as good. I have expensive signmaking software, the upgrade prices are normally pretty high & if you miss one then at the next upgrade you pay extra on the upgrade price, miss 2 upgrades & you are back to paying full price.
I agree with both. As a hobbyist, 25% of the full software price does seem like a lot for an upgrade. For those that use the software to earn income then yes it is a deal.

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

Whoa, Martin54 says that anything created in 9.5 is not functional in 10. Can that be true?
Mark
Pioneer, CA

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Of course not. It's the other way round. If you create something in 9.5, it can be opened and manipulated in 10. If you create or save it in 10, it cannot be opened in 9.5.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

redwood wrote:Whoa, Martin54 says that anything created in 9.5 is not functional in 10. Can that be true?
Where did I say that?

Sometimes I might not be as clear about something as I would like ( I blame old age :oops: :oops: ) but I can't see anything in the post I made about projects created in 9.5 not being functional in 10.

This is what I said

if you designed something in V10 you wouldn't be able to open it in 9.5 , anything done in 9.5 can be opened in v10

Which to me is the same thing dealguy11 has just said only not as well put :lol: :lol:

Bgriffith
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Post by Bgriffith »

Please disregard previous post. Purchased and downloaded.

DASontario
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desk Top 18 by 24 bed

Post by DASontario »

Version 10 includes Photo V Carve, I already purchased Photo V Carve some years ago and now paying for it again ? mind you there are several improvements but yet I don't agree with that.
I have watched the videos and I think the upgrade is worth the $545.00 Canadian, but I shouldn't have to buy Photo V Carve again.
Have a good day everyone.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Version 10 doesn't include PhotoVCarve. It includes the PhotoVCarve toolpath strategy which isn't the same thing as the product. As the toolpath is implemented currently you can't use it to create lithophanes or 3D reliefs that you can with the full PhotoVCarve product.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Not to sound disappointed in the flashy new upgrade, but I thought I remember reading a post somewhere that V10 would also be available as a Mac program. Did that possibility die or maybe get delayed? A standalone Mac version would let me finally rid my Mac of Windows.

I do plan to upgrade...just as soon as I find out where the wife hid the credit cards this month! :D
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There's never been a mention of Aspire being available as a Mac program from anyone from Vectric as far as I can remember.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

Got mine in the middle of last week. The video of whats new covers a lot of ground quickly. For those of us who need more thorough explanations will there be any tutorials on how to do different things. In my area 3-d is important.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

COWBOY1296 wrote:Got mine in the middle of last week. The video of whats new covers a lot of ground quickly. For those of us who need more thorough explanations will there be any tutorials on how to do different things. In my area 3-d is important.
All the tutorials with the product and on the website are V10 based.