Most Precise Two Sided Machining Strategy

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
alex pavel
Model of CNC Machine: General Numeric

Most Precise Two Sided Machining Strategy

Post by alex pavel »

I need to machine some pieces on both sides and they need to align perfectly.

What would be the best strategy for this?

Did anyone try a 3D probe? Is it more precise than using dowels?

Thanks!

Attachments
milling v8.png
9.png
11.png
10.png

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Most Precise Two Sided Machining Strategy

Post by TReischl »

alex pavel wrote:I need to machine some pieces on both sides and they need to align perfectly.

What would be the best strategy for this?

Did anyone try a 3D probe? Is it more precise than using dowels?

Absolutely not. One thing you should keep in mind is that imported stl/obj files are converted into a pixel based representation. Therefore you can lose some accuracy in regards to size and thickness, also any features within the part. There is currently another thread active that discusses this situation.

Back to the dowel locating. It is a very good method of locating parts.

Thanks!

"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If the planes that the two tenons are extruded from are not parallel to each other you will have a ridiculously difficult job avoiding undercuts.

alex pavel
Model of CNC Machine: General Numeric

Post by alex pavel »

I will be using a 4 axis machine and i'll be able to tilt the spinde for those undercuts. By the way, those are not tabs, but that's the actual piece i need. I will be using another software for tilting the spindle on the 4th axis. This is how the piece looks like with side support for dowels and bridges/tabs: Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgOsJfuTxr2JhAliy-C ... c?e=J1kt9B

Is the stl/obj importing issue something related to vcarve or something in general in all softwares?

Did anyone try creating a negative of the piece that acts as a support for when flipping the piece? Would that work?

Thanks!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

alex pavel wrote:I will be using a 4 axis machine and i'll be able to tilt the spinde for those undercuts. By the way, those are not tabs, but that's the actual piece i need. I will be using another software for tilting the spindle on the 4th axis. This is how the piece looks like with side support for dowels and bridges/tabs: Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgOsJfuTxr2JhAliy-C ... c?e=J1kt9B

Is the stl/obj importing issue something related to vcarve or something in general in all softwares?

It is related to the conversion between a vector based file and a pixel based programming system. Think what happens when you convert a vector drawing to a raster drawing....some portion of the pixels are either over or under the line. Just the nature of things. I think I can safely say that Vectric's target market is not the precision machining industry. The programs that do that work directly with the mesh. The advantage Vectric has is when working with organic/artistic things. Those are miserable to do in more mechanically oriented packages.

Did anyone try creating a negative of the piece that acts as a support for when flipping the piece? Would that work?

Thanks!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns