Do I need 9.5

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Do I need 9.5

Post by Len-Tikular »

So, I have been running with Aspire 4.5 for some time now and was considering upgrade path to 9.5, however on watching the new feature video I quickly learn that 80% or more of the upgrade is focused on 'Wraping' or other 4th dimensional carving.
I have used text wrapping once, just to try it but in all honesty I really don't see that I have a need, so the question is do I need to chuck my £310 away on something I'm not going to use. Maybe I should wait for Aspire 10.
Convince me.

George
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Do I need 9.5

Post by Adrian »

No-one but you can convince you as only you know what features are and aren't of any use to you. 9.5 has a lot of new text editing features over 4.5 which I make a lot of use of plus the various toolpath upgrades that come in over previous versions. Don't forget that if you're only watching the 9.5 new features you're missing out on what was added in 8, 8.5 and 9 all of which came out after 4.5 and the syncing of version numbers with VCarve.

If you buy a new version now and a new one is released within a year you get a free upgrade to it so there's no need to wait for 10 as it's very unlikely to be over a year before it's released.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

The vector drawings tools are far superior in the later version, allowing you to draw much faster. Probably lot of other great features you are missing out on as well.
But as Adrian says, only you would know if you should upgrade.

Try to find some "What's New" videos for the previous versions, to get a better idea of what upgrading will give you.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Aspire trials are fully functional (except for generating Gcode), so why not simply give it a try?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

George,
Vectric has announced that Aspire V10 is "coming soon", if I were you I'd wait and review the new features and as Adrian said you also need to look at all the features added by all versions between 4.5 and 9.5.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Without knowing what you use the software for it is very difficult to say for sure but when you look at what has been added since 4.5 there is a good chance that there will be something in it for you.
As has already been said you need to look at the update info for 8, 8.5, 9 & 9.5 to get a proper picture of what has changed. As highpockets has said Vectric has said 10 was coming soon & at the user group meeting which is 2rd October in UK they will be introducing people to what is new in V10 even if it hasn't been released by then. Might be worth waiting until then but only you can really decide. You could always download the trial version & have a look for yourself, that would really be the best way to see if it is worth you upgrading :lol: :lol:

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi George,

Before you acted I just wanted to clarify something that Adrian mentioned, which is the 1 year free upgrade. This 1 year limit is for the initial purchase of Aspire. For version upgrades the limit is actually 90 days. Aside from that I think the points everyone else made are very valid. Give the trial a go and see if you like it, and be sure to look out for Version 10 in the near future.

Thanks,
Adam

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sorry about that. I thought there wasn't an upgrade path from a version as old as that so it would be a new version purchase.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

No problem Adrian, I just wanted to be really clear with the release right around the corner. But you raise a good point, there is no penalty for an upgrade from any previous version.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hey There,

I just wanted to chime in here, as others have mentioned about the features that had been added to 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 as well as 9.5 which you are inquiring about you may find this page useful: https://www.vectric.com/upgrade/aspire scroll a little way down and you can read about all the features we added into each release.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Beki
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I started with 4.5, and since then the software has improved so much I use it for all my drafting needs. So much in fact that it is hard to image how they could improve it in 10.0.

4D