Poker hand - wedding plaque

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
kminden
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Poker hand - wedding plaque

Post by kminden »

Gave this to my nephew this weekend for his wedding. They are big card players, and gave out decks of playing cards at the reception, so I designed the plaque around that theme.
Attachments
C04C4331-8B3C-4887-9D3E-9E6060162669.jpeg

ezurick

Re: Poker hand - wedding plaque

Post by ezurick »

Very nice. What is your technique for the painting? Since it is a 2.5D or 3D carve, it would be difficult to hand paint it and then sand it. So you must have a different way. It really looks good.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Excellent job on a themed gift!!
Beautiful painting job and finish....wish I had your steady hand!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Very nice. And a very fitting theme. Even managed to fit in a bit of Garth. I am sure it was well received. Very nice paint job, very crisp line. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Beautiful work!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

kminden
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by kminden »

Thanks for the kind words. With regard to my painting technique, I put 2-3 coats of shellac over the entire part. Then I applied the white picking stain to the cards. Hit it again with a couple more coats of shellac. Then I painted the lettering, using a damp cloth and a straight edge I’m able to get 99% of the excess paint off in the flat areas. I then lightly sand and hit it with a couple of coats of lacquer. On the cards I should have made the pockets for the suits a little deeper it would have made that part a little easier to paint.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

kminden wrote:Thanks for the kind words. With regard to my painting technique, I put 2-3 coats of shellac over the entire part. Then I applied the white picking stain to the cards. Hit it again with a couple more coats of shellac. Then I painted the lettering, using a damp cloth and a straight edge I’m able to get 99% of the excess paint off in the flat areas. I then lightly sand and hit it with a couple of coats of lacquer. On the cards I should have made the pockets for the suits a little deeper it would have made that part a little easier to paint.
You painted the lettering using a damp cloth and a straight edge? I don't follow. What do you mean straight edge? You mean a straight edge paint brush? If so... that still had to take some serious accuracy and steady nerves. And so the Shellac is basically hardening the wood to prevent bleed, correct? The same principle as Sanding Sealer?

Thanks for sharing and as I said, it looks really good. I am working on a project that has smaller letters on Pine. Before I carved the letters I applied a coat of Sanding Sealer. The carve of the letters came out pretty good. So I applied another coat of Sanding Sealer to hopefully prevent bleed of the dark stain. But it still shows some bleeding. Perhaps Shellac might have worked better?