An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Composition help

Post by Aussie »

Hi All,
Cut this today from some scraps.
Do you think the moon should be larger ?
I will probably use purpleheart for the moon and not red cedar for the base ….too soft.

Thanks for any feedback
Ron
Attachments
Scrap Test - Copy.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Composition help

Post by TReischl »

If you make it too big then I will start howling at it, and then Murphy over there starts howling and then lovely wife starts frowning, or laughing.

I would tend to make it a bit bigger.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I'd have cut that "white" part of the cedar out of the center, and glued the red to red.
Moon looks right to me.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I think the moon looks about right as it is. Make it much bigger & it them becomes the crentre of focus as your eye will automatically become drawn towards it :lol: :lol:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well I am in the opposite camp here. I think the moon should take up that whole corner. Kind of like you are putting a pizza slice of the moon right in that corner. ......... Just me though. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Boy.....That's had me thinking all day about pieces of wood I've got with various Heart/Sapwood lines on it that already remind me of landscape horizons :D
IF I had a moon JUST rising on the horizon, I'd make it a tad larger like in real life.

Think that would make a really neat never ending snowball project on the right piece of wood, and adding stuff as you go! :)
Thanks for the inspiration!

Question....why a black or dark colored Moon?
Thanks Ron :D

scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ger21 wrote:I'd have cut that "white" part of the cedar out of the center, and glued the red to red.
Moon looks right to me.
Nope, I think that white line down the middle defines the horizon very nicely.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

dwilli9013 wrote:Well I am in the opposite camp here. I think the moon should take up that whole corner. Kind of like you are putting a pizza slice of the moon right in that corner. ......... Just me though. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think that would then make the moon the main focus of the carving rather than the wolf but Hey there are no right or wrong answers Dwayne, anything to do with design is really just opinion :lol: :lol:
That to me is the great thing about the toolpath preview, you can experiment as much as you want without having the cost of actually cutting any wood :lol: :lol:

Didn't really think about it until Scott mentioned it but yes why the dark colour for the moon :lol: :lol:

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

scottp55 wrote:Boy.....That's had me thinking all day about pieces of wood I've got with various Heart/Sapwood lines on it that already remind me of landscape horizons :D
IF I had a moon JUST rising on the horizon, I'd make it a tad larger like in real life.

Think that would make a really neat never ending snowball project on the right piece of wood, and adding stuff as you go! :)
Thanks for the inspiration!

Question....why a black or dark colored Moon?
Thanks Ron :D

scott
Just had a scrap of wenge....final design I was thinking a blood moon using Padauk or bloodwood or if not a blood moon then using curly maple instead
Ron
Crafers Crafts

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I'd think Bloodwood would take the detail and you wouldn't have the Padauk pores getting into the act...Bloodwood colors preserve better anyways usually.
Think I'd go hard Maple though, and then play with some Pin Cherry resin I've got(or maybe Dragonblood resin(common incense in New Age stores).

See Ron......Ya got me playing with it in my head already :D :D
Got 3 thin boards(Indian Rosewood/Padauk/and Cocobolo with Very nice heart/sap lines) out today just to imagine(they've been out trying to figure what they want to be, just not all in one place for a serious look) :D :D
Thanks again for stirring the grey matter! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.