How to Add Sheets to Job

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TSmith88
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud

How to Add Sheets to Job

Post by TSmith88 »

I'm sure this is something extremely simple that I can't figure out, but how can I add a new sheet to a job?

I have a job that will take 3 sheets of solid surface, I would like to put all 3 sheets on the same file but I can't figure out how to simply add a new blank sheet. I've been getting around it by just drawing a rectangle slightly smaller than the material, then nesting as many of that as I need, but I assume there's a better way to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Layers?

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear T

Have you thought of putting each sheet on an separate layer?

Sincerely
Martin

TSmith88

Re: How to Add Sheets to Job

Post by TSmith88 »

I use layer names to auto select my toolpathing. How would I be able to create a "Sheet" layer, while keeping my individual vector layers separate for toolpathing?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

TSmith88 wrote:I've been getting around it by just drawing a rectangle slightly smaller than the material, then nesting as many of that as I need, but I assume there's a better way to do this. Any help is appreciated.
Sheets are for nesting so they are created when there are more parts than will fit onto a single sheet. If you've got three sheets of material the usual approach would be to draw/import all the parts you need (they don't have to be on the virtual material) and then nest. The program will automatically move the parts and create sheets as needed.

If you want to do it completely manually then there is no way to do it using sheets other than what you have done. If you were to do it by virtual "sheet" layers then you would need to group to the Sheet1 layer etc and then ungroup to preserve your toolpath layers.

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

Adrian wrote:
TSmith88 wrote:I've been getting around it by just drawing a rectangle slightly smaller than the material, then nesting as many of that as I need, but I assume there's a better way to do this. Any help is appreciated.
Sheets are for nesting so they are created when there are more parts than will fit onto a single sheet. If you've got three sheets of material the usual approach would be to draw/import all the parts you need (they don't have to be on the virtual material) and then nest. The program will automatically move the parts and create sheets as needed.

If you want to do it completely manually then there is no way to do it using sheets other than what you have done. If you were to do it by virtual "sheet" layers then you would need to group to the Sheet1 layer etc and then ungroup to preserve your toolpath layers.
I already had all the parts drawn up in autocad the way I wanted them placed on the sheets so I didn't want to use the nest feature and have them get moved.

Seems like the way I did it was the best solution for this particular application. I may try to figure out the grouping and layering method at a later date.

Thanks for the help and explanation, it makes perfect sense.