This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: STL file not showing as a 3D file

Post by CharlieP »

Hello,

If I may just check something with you.
From your original description, it sounds like you have started the 3D Importer and have the Blue STL file on screen, and then before you complete the import, you have gone to the Toolpathing Panel and tried to Create your 3D Toolpath.

Doing this would indeed give you the error that "I need to have a 3D image".

If this is the exact steps you took, you just need to complete the 3D Import by clicking OK in the 3D Import Panel on the left.

I hope this helps

Charlotte

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Ok... I stand corrected, once again. Apparently when I pulled up the rough toolpath, it already had my previous setting of "Select Vector" for the Machine Boundary. I switched to "Model Boundary" and it worked. Apologize, and thanks for correcting me. Us newbies will sure keep you on your toes... lol.

eddiegnz1
Model of CNC Machine: 6040

Post by eddiegnz1 »

OCEdesigns
did you find a solution. I'm having the same problem with my STL from other software.
See the screen shots attached
Attachments
Error Msg.JPG
No2DModel.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

eddiegnz1 wrote:OCEdesigns
did you find a solution. I'm having the same problem with my STL from other software.
See the screen shots attached
From the colour of your model in the 3D window I'd say it's the issue that CharlieP raised a couple of post above in this thread. You haven't completed the STL import phase. You need to go back to the Modelling tab where the dialog should still be open and press OK to accept the import and change the STL into a Vectric model that you can toolpath. If the dialog is not there you'll need to start again and make sure you press OK before moving onto toolpath operations etc.

OCEdesigns
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 Extended with VCarve Pro 10.5

Post by OCEdesigns »

Sorry it took me few days but Here is a screen shot of what I am getting. I just tried to mess with it again and still can't figure it out.

After following the directions above I made sure to click "Ok" Now it lets me start the 3D roughing toolpath but all I get is this second picture.
Attachments
Flag Eagle .jpg
Flag Eagle 2.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

OCEdesigns wrote:Sorry it took me few days but Here is a screen shot of what I am getting. I just tried to mess with it again and still can't figure it out.

After following the directions above I made sure to click "Ok" Now it lets me start the 3D roughing toolpath but all I get is this second picture.
You need to read Charlie's post, that model colour is the import colour BEFORE you create the 3D model within the Vectric software, yes you can look at in on the import screen rotate it etc but until you click the OK button at the bottom of the import form the model will not be created :lol: :lol:

This tutorial covers importing 3D data, stl imports are covered at about 5 mins in to the video :lol:

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=89

OK what does the 3d view look like? When you import your model the model has to be sitting within the bounds of your material block, any part of the model that is outside of the material block will not be created :lol: :lol:

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

It looks like it is trying to make it a very tall model!!

Here is my Job set up for material. I set it for 2 inche thick piece of wood. When I import it the file shows it in mm but I change it to inches. For some reason I think this is also an issue. I can't seem to figure out what might be happening. The second pic is what I see when I first import it.
Attachments
Flag Eagle 3.jpg
Flag Eagle 4.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are you scaling the model or just selecting inches? Looks like you might be trying to import a model that is huge at 498 inches by 329 inches by 67 inches so only a very small part of the model fits in your material block :lol: :lol:

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

I think I got it figured out!! I had to change the X Y settings. For some reason the model X and Y are different from how I have my machine set up (I hear that is common) After noticing that I was able to change the mm to inches and then clicked OK again and it let me set up my toolpaths.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

martin54 wrote:Are you scaling the model or just selecting inches? Looks like you might be trying to import a model that is huge at 498 inches by 329 inches by 67 inches so only a very small part of the model fits in your material block :lol: :lol:
YES! This was one of my first mistakes. I finally figured out to scale both.

mebell
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Shark

Post by mebell »

Chad I'm sorry I did not follow up on the email with the design file for this project. I sent it the evening of the 28 but it has been hectic here and I did not make sure you got the email. Hopefully, it will show you how I would do the file but you will have to rotate it for your machine and recalculate all toolpaths.