1/8" Bit suggestions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
grubby65
Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

1/8" Bit suggestions

Post by grubby65 »

This is probably not the right place to post this, but........ I have a CNC router with a Bora PM-P254 Motor. The problem is it does not have a 1/8" collet available for it. I'm trying to carve and do cut outs in 3/4" material and I'm having an issue finding a 1/8" bit with a 1/4" shank which has a cutting length of 3/4". Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with 1/4"-1/8" reducing collets?
2) Does someone know of a 1/8" bit with a 1/4" shank that has at least 3/4" cutting ability?
3) Can you purchase replacement collets?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thans

dakotablue
Model of CNC Machine: opensource

Re: 1/8" Bit suggestions

Post by dakotablue »

I use a 1/8 bit with a collet adapter that fits into a 1/4" collet. You can find them on amazon. Ive used it without incident. Just watch the bit, they break easily.

grubby65

Post by grubby65 »

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how the adapters worked. Do you know which brand of adapter you are using?

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I don't see your router in Precise Bits ER-20 collet adapter(which people I trust say is excellent), BUT see the have 1/2" collet adapters which should work?
Everything we bought from them was excellent.
Maybe someone here has used them?
Just mentioning.
scott
https://www.precisebits.com/gateways/Co ... tsHome.htm

Hmm....go to collet reducers on that page...link doesn't take you directly there.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

These are not inexpensive and they are downcutters which I don't know if you want. I use them day in day out for putting profiles on MDF doors. As long as your feeds and speeds are good, they last an amazingly long time. Like all long thin bits they are prone to breaking if you abuse them.

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-13941-46225-k.html
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Centurion Tools has a variety of high-quality choices: ->Link
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dakotablue
Model of CNC Machine: opensource

Post by dakotablue »

If you are using a router with a 1/4" collet and wish to use 1/8" bits, all you really need is a 1/8" collet adapter. It slips into the 1/4" collet just like the bit does, but it has a 1/8" hole that accepts 1/8" bits. The adapter is split so it squeezes the bit when you tighten the collet. My router has a 1/2" collet, so I use a 1/4" adapter and insert the 1/8" adapter into it. They're dirt cheap on amazon. Its an easy fix, unless I'm totally misreading your question, which happens from time to time, and in that case just overlook me. Perhaps your router has a different collet system than mine but generally speaking this is how I use 1/8" bits in a 1/2" router.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I use 1/4”-shank 1/8” upcut bits from CarveWright.com (I think PreciseBits has them also - I've ordered those from them before, but it has been a few years ago). Cutting length is 1” (actually a tad more). I attached a photo of one of my bits for you...

If you order from CarveWright.com, they normally come with a pressed-on 1/2” adapter. You can call-in the order and specify you do not want that adaptor, if you need the 1/4” shank size (as in my photo).
Attachments
michaels_1-8_bit-with_1-4_shank.JPG
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Michael is this the same one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-CUTTING-BI ... 4530!US!-1

Been using for years for cutouts and tight nesting on stock from .7-.95"
Didn't say anything, as on my machine it likes a conventional toolpath at 10K, and 2.4-2.6IPS with 1/2D spiral passes for any hardwood and exotics I've tried.
Wasn't sure about his machine as it was a finicky bit to get dialed in. It packs kerf tight.

I DO recommend it,as our crib board design needed .92" minimum thickness, and it cut blanks like a champ:)
Highly recommend Drillman1 on EBay as well for fast shipping and consistently good service.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Scott,

It does appear to be the same configuration, alright. If you have been using it with good performance and can vouch for it, then that’s good enough for me!

The owner of PreciseBits and I had a conversation about low-price bits, a few years ago. He educated me about the various carbides and costs. His “blanks” cost more than that bit you linked to!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

grubby65

Post by grubby65 »

Thanks so much for everyone's responses. Actually both of my questions were anwered (an 1/8"x1/4" bit with deeper cutting ability) and the collet adapter. Once again thanks.