Issues with Box Gadget

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
grubby65
Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Issues with Box Gadget

Post by grubby65 »

I am having issues cutting a box with the box gadget. First pass everything is fine. When it starts the second pass the X-axis is off by about 3”. Then the game hits pass the X-axis shuts off all together. If I stop the program, reset everything all axis’ will jog fine. I’m using a 1/4” endmill and 3/4” birch plywood. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Is it the program or my machine. I ran a couple of test cuts with the bit plowed in .25” and all the measurements were fine.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Issues with Box Gadget

Post by gkas »

If your preview is OK, then it's NOT Vcarve.

It sounds like you are losing a lot of steps. Try taking lighter cuts, like 0.10, and see what happens. Cut only a single small panel as a test.

grubby65
Model of CNC Machine: DIY build WoodSmith Magazine design

Post by grubby65 »

Preview looks fine. I originally had it set up on 6 cuts then changed it to 3. Thought maybe it was a repeatability issue. I will try more steps then. If I’m losing steps would you suggest reducing the velocity of the stepper motor?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Does sound like lost steps which can be caused by a number of different factors, unikely to be the program, if it was the forum would probably be littered with posts on the same subject, having said that there is the odd issue pops up which is usually associated with one of the algorithms the program used.

Don't use the box gadget personally so don't know if you get the toolpath preview with it, if you do get the toolpath preview & everything looks to be fine then it is almost certainly a problem with the machine or the machine control software.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The most common causes of lost steps from past posts seems to be pushing the machine too hard (too high a feed rate and/or too high pass depth), something loose/binding in the machine like a motor coupler or hitting one of the axis limits during the cut movements.