This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
monlover
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Omnitech 4X8 with 8 tool

open contours message

Post by monlover »

Hi,
I spine over 3 hour trying to get this to work but no hope,
now the only hope is some professional help in this great place.
i finally managed to get this drawing to this stage, but when it comes to toolpath I had so many error message,
it says there is groups with multiple open contours and i ran all tricks i know to fix it
clicked on join close vectors by moving end points
i clicked on join vectors
i ran vector validator
still NO HOPE at toolpath.
Pleas help i really appreciate it. :D
Attachments
Round Shapes 7-2019.crv
(58 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: open contours message

Post by martin54 »

If you run the vector validator it will show that you still have quite a few intersections, you can use the trim tool to remove those & then ou should be able to toolpath it :lol: :lol:

monlover
Vectric Craftsman

Post by monlover »

i ran the validator but it show 3 zeros
there is no intersections, but when i magnify i can see the extra needs to be trimmed.
Attachments
round_shape.png

monlover
Vectric Craftsman

Post by monlover »

I ungrouped it and used the trim tool to trim each tail, and it worked rally good at the tool bath.
Thank you very much for your help :D :D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What version of vcarve are you running? I use Aspire but there shouldn't be any difference between the 2 programs as far as the vector validator goes.
Good to hear its sorted now though.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's only the shape in the top left of three that has the errors the others are ok so you would get different results depending on selections etc. The file was created with 9.517 (the latest version) according to the version info.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think you are confusing "Group" with "Join". Drag select the top left, right click and select "Ungroup". Drag select again and select the join tool on the lower left of the drawing tab. If you are trying to cut out the drawing, create 2 toolpaths. One for the outside and one for the inside circle. Also, the toolpaths will not display unless the vectors are on the board.
Attachments
Join button.jpg
Steve

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

First I would like to point out that 'Grouping' vectors does not join the vectors.

In this drawing the outside gear teeth are many individual vectors that are 'Grouped' together. They must be 'ungrouped' and then the vectors must be 'joined' together using the 'join vector tool'

You must remember that in most cases Tool paths require closed vectors in order to function correctly. There is but one toolpath the 'Profile' Tool path that does not need a closed vector in order to function. The 'Profile' Tool path will work on let's say an individual straight line vector.

1.) Highlight select the outside gear teeth vector.
2.) Click on 'un-group' vectors tool (Edit Objects 1st row 5th icon (box, triangle))

Now if you click in an open space to un-select any vectors which are highlighted.
Now click an outside geared teeth vector you will see that it only highlights a portion of the geared teeth the others are not joined to the vector you selected.
Now hold down a shift key and select another vector next to the vector which is already highlighted and it will become highlighted.
Now go to Edit Objects Last row last icon click it and the two (2) vectors you highlighted will join.
Continue using this process to join the other geared teeth vectors together to complete the outside geared teeth vector.

Once you complete the joining process to complete the outside geared teeth vector you will be able to apply a tool path to that vector!

Hope this helps!

Just another note I will mention here while we are on the subject of 'Joining' Vectors. There is a tool called 'Join vectors' in Edit objects that can be used to find out how many vectors are joined together and how many are open.

Perform the above steps 1 and 2
Then select highlight all vectors of the outside geared teeth vector
Then click select the 'Join Vector' icon (Edit objects Last row 1st icon)
In this particular drawing the outside geared teeth vector is comprised of 17 open vectors and after using this particular tool it will join only one of those. So that means each of the other vectors must be joined to the other in order to complete a single complete vector.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004