STL file not showing as a 3D file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
OCEdesigns
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 Extended with VCarve Pro 10.5

STL file not showing as a 3D file

Post by OCEdesigns »

I have downloaded a 3d STL file. I used the Modeling tab to import the file. After setting up all the sizes I go to the Tool Paths tab to set up the end mills to use and select the 3D tool path icon and I get an error that says I need to have a 3D image.
This is the first time I try to use an STL file for 3D machining, so what am I doing wrong?
I'm running Vcarve Pro 9.5

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: STL file not showing as a 3D file

Post by dealguy11 »

After you do the import, can you see the imported model when you click the "3D View" tab at the top of the screen? Are you sure the import produced a model?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

dealguy11 wrote:After you do the import, can you see the imported model when you click the "3D View" tab at the top of the screen? Are you sure the import produced a model?
Yes. I see it as if it was a 3D model. I can rotate it and everything.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

OCEdesigns wrote: Yes. I see it as if it was a 3D model. I can rotate it and everything.
If you cannot provide your actual file, please show us a screenshot of your 3D view with the model.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

mtylerfl wrote:
OCEdesigns wrote: Yes. I see it as if it was a 3D model. I can rotate it and everything.
If you cannot provide your actual file, please show us a screenshot of your 3D view with the model.
I'm at work. As soon as I get home I'll get this.

Would the picture look different if the import didn't produce a model? Because it looks just like the other 3D models I've done but those were V3M files.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

If it didn't produce a model then you wouldn't see it, so it seems you have a component. How are you selecting the machining limit boundary in the Roughing/Finishing toolpath screens?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I've tried a few different ways to duplicate the error and nothing short of not actually having a component in the job will generate that message as far as I can see.

There is no difference between an STL file and a V3M file once you're past the import stage and you have a component in the job.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

It sounds like you are not selecting the actual 3D model in the 2D view when creating your toolpath... if the 3d model is actually there. If you didn't create a boundary of the 3D model, then you need to select model boundary in the "Machining Limit Boundary".

If this is your first 3D model, I would highly suggest to watch a few of the Vectric tutorials on 3D. Find them here...
https://support.vectric.com/training-material

3D isn't as simple as 2D so please watch some of the tutorials. hope this helps.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You don't need to select the model when creating a 3D toolpath. It's different from the other toolpaths in that regard.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

Thanks for the replies so far. I got home late so didn't have a chance to look at it. But after reading here I think I forgot to do the boundary! I have done about 10 V3M files. So hopefully it's just a simple boundary mistake. :oops:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

OCEdesigns wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I got home late so didn't have a chance to look at it. But after reading here I think I forgot to do the boundary! I have done about 10 V3M files. So hopefully it's just a simple boundary mistake. :oops:
If it was that you would be getting an error saying "No suitable vectors selected" not one about there being no 3D model.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

Adrian wrote:
OCEdesigns wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I got home late so didn't have a chance to look at it. But after reading here I think I forgot to do the boundary! I have done about 10 V3M files. So hopefully it's just a simple boundary mistake. :oops:
If it was that you would be getting an error saying "No suitable vectors selected" not one about there being no 3D model.
OK. I'll have to check that then too.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I am sorry to debate this Adrian, but in MY version of Vcarve Desktop, you are wrong. I just now imported an STL file into a new project. I sized it up and UNSELECTED it... I pulled up 3D rough and entered my parameters and boom! it error'd and said "no vectors selected". Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, I HAVE to select the 3D model in the 2D view before it will allow any 3D toolpath. Perhaps it is different in the Pro or Aspire versions.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

ezurick wrote:

I am sorry to debate this Adrian, but in MY version of Vcarve Desktop, you are wrong. I just now imported an STL file into a new project. I sized it up and UNSELECTED it... I pulled up 3D rough and entered my parameters and boom! it error'd and said "no vectors selected". Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, I HAVE to select the 3D model in the 2D view before it will allow any 3D toolpath. Perhaps it is different in the Pro or Aspire versions.
Adrian is CORRECT. You got "no vectors selected" because you have 'Selected Vectors' checked in your Machining Limit Boundary in your rough or finish toolpath, whichever you are trying to create. You don't have any vector selected surrounding the model.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ezurick wrote: I am sorry to debate this Adrian, but in MY version of Vcarve Desktop, you are wrong. I just now imported an STL file into a new project. I sized it up and UNSELECTED it... I pulled up 3D rough and entered my parameters and boom! it error'd and said "no vectors selected". Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean, I HAVE to select the 3D model in the 2D view before it will allow any 3D toolpath. Perhaps it is different in the Pro or Aspire versions.
You don't have to use vectors to machine a 3D model. If you use one of the other options than "Selected Vector(s)" then it will machine the model(s) directly. The original post said that the error message was about the 3D model missing not the vectors which is why I assumed it wasn't the boundary that was the issue. The only way I've been able to get a message about the 3D model not to come up when calculating the toolpath is not to have a model in the job at all.