G-Code Stops in Middle of a Run

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sm38240
Model of CNC Machine: cnc router parts pro4848

G-Code Stops in Middle of a Run

Post by sm38240 »

So, I am making a simple cutting board with the client's name in it that I want to engrave then I plan to fill with tinted epoxy. I am using Vcarve Pro, Mach 3 and an Avid CNCPro4848. I have two words that render well, see below, and Vcarve appears to generate the correct G-code. However, on the first letter, "B", the CNC just stops. Same place every time. This something related to the font or letter, I think. I dont think it is Mach 3 related or CNC related. I have had this problem once before and changed the font and everything work. I would like to understand what is happening here. Any ideas? I am using a 60 degree v bit and I am using the V-Carve Tool Operation.

Thanks,

Stan
Attachments
brown.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: G-Code Stops in Middle of a Run

Post by Adrian »

Is your version of Mach3 properly registered? It will only run a certain number of lines of code before stopping otherwise.

Not sure how it could be font related if the preview is correct in VCarve etc. How are you transferring the file to the machine? Has the whole file saved properly if you're using removable media? What does the line of code it stops on say?

sm38240

Post by sm38240 »

yep, it is registered. Been using the CNC most of the day, but this is the first engraving run.

It always stops at:

G1Z-0.1250F30.0

sm38240

Post by sm38240 »

Problem Solved. Thanks for the idea on media as I am using a jump drive. Tried a different USB jump drive and it works. Interesting in that all the code appears to be there.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

With Mach3, all g-code should be copied to the local hard drive, and loaded and ran from there. Running files from anywhere else may result in problems.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com