Clearing pass problem

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Gasmith22
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko xxl

Clearing pass problem

Post by Gasmith22 »

Each time I have tried to carve a larger sign with a hard wood (Purple heart this time 23x12) the clearing pass at random times will take a deep plunge. Of course this ruins the wood for this sign, but I have looked to find any mistakes in my program and have not found it. What am I doing wrong?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Clearing pass problem

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

...if your file is too large (over 2MB), then you will need to use a free service such as DropBox to upload the file to. Then, you copy and paste the download link here for us to be able to download the file.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

As mentioned, this can only be assessed with a look the real file but what happens all the time is when you have a rather detailed model with small deep pits or holes, the roughing bit (if you do that at all) may not fit into these holes and skip them but the smaller finishing bit will. That may make the finish bit plunge deep into solid material at high speed with unpleasant results.

Gasmith22

Post by Gasmith22 »

Having problems with dropbox, soon as I get that figured out I will upload it.

Gasmith22

Post by Gasmith22 »

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

YOU are probably not doing anything wrong. I looked at your file, no problems that I could detect.

But your machine is probably having an issue, which could be lots of things. With what you wrote the very first thing that would come to my mind is electrical interference. When a machine goes on the warpath like you describe it is not usually a matter of losing a few steps here and there. Besides, your depth of cut is very shallow and on work of that type the Z axis does not get a workout that would expose the usual suspects.

IMHO, not a software problem or operator problem.

Just looked at your gcode, no problem there either. The deepest move on Z that I could find was Z-.120, which is what you programmed. Ya got a machine problem.
Last edited by TReischl on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Gasmith22

Post by Gasmith22 »

Thank you for the help. Guess I will work on it from the other side.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Just a thought, BUT do you have ALL power saving setting to OFF, All Updates turned OFF, Anti-Virus turned OFF?
Not familiar with your machine, but if it uses a control computer...are you running the file from C: or the USB....running from USB can cause problems sometimes.

Is machine on separate breaker?
Is any large machinery kicking in during the cut(my compressor used to cause a fluctuation)?
Do you have a bare copper wire Inside the DC hose, and grounded back to the vac?

Just thinking:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I had a similar problem and yes it also was with expensive beautiful, spalted pecan. I made sure to do a deep clean and lubricate my machine (even though I do this on a regular basis), I checked my Aspire files (everything was okay) and I decided to get busy and run the bare grounding wire for my dust collection system. Things are just fine at this time. Good luck.

Gasmith22

Post by Gasmith22 »

Thank you for the help everyone. I am in hopes that this is a computer issue rather then a machine problem. I have been in touch with Carbide for their assistance. I will let you know what they have to say.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I looked at each toolpath. With some, the depth is set in inches and the pass depth is set in mm. This may be good and maybe not. I've never tried it so I can't say if it is what the problem is or not. I just thought I'd throw it out there as an observation and maybe someone else that knows more about it can chime in.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

SteveNelson46 wrote:I looked at each toolpath. With some, the depth is set in inches and the pass depth is set in mm. This may be good and maybe not. I've never tried it so I can't say if it is what the problem is or not. I just thought I'd throw it out there as an observation and maybe someone else that knows more about it can chime in.
Steve, as I posted above, I read the gcode file. I could not find any Z value deeper than -.120. That whole mm v inch thing was tossing me a curve too. I run into the same thing on my machine with the metric tools. As soon as the tool is defined in mm then Aspire wants to insist on specifying some of the parameters in mm. I am about to redefine them as imperial tools with a (6mm) in the name field.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns