3D Issues

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
useless
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smart Shop II 5X10

3D Issues

Post by useless »

Hello, I built a 3D model from vectors in Aspire 8 but it seems no matter how I apply tooling I get a rough final product. When I use the simulation it also shows the spots that turn out rough. Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 9.29.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 9.25.55 AM.png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: 3D Issues

Post by dealguy11 »

It looks like you're seeing pixelation caused by creating the model at too low a resolution given the size of the overall model.

I would do a couple of things. One would be to set the modeling resolution higher in the Job Setup screen. Then re-create all the components at the higher resolution (sadly, increasing the resolution won't fix the existing components). This will make the pixels smaller and less noticeable.

The other would be to eliminate all vertical surfaces as much as possible in the model. The easiest way to do that is to use the "Add Draft" command on the modeling pane. Alternatively, you will get much nicer results if you cut the pockets out using a pocketing toolpath, although you will need to create new vectors to accomplish this. That would provide the nicest result.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Is that the toolpath preview? If so it could be that you have toolpath preview resolution set too low (check the Toolpaths/Preview Simulation Quality menu).

Also if the model is small compared to the size of the material (a 6" square model on a 4' square piece of material for example) you'll get issues with model creation itself and the preview.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just to add to what has already been said, it looks like you may have used auto trace to create the vectors, looks like there may be a lot that could be cleaned up. Hard to say for sure because sometimes it is just down to how the screen is displaying them :lol: :lol:

If you want to create components from vectors then make sure the vectors are the best they can be :lol:

useless

Post by useless »

The vectors that were used for the model are clean and have not been quicktraced. I checked my model resolution and it was also set to very high. Cant help be wonder how much better version 9 is over version 8 with these stuff. The size of my model was at 3'x7'. I used imported vectors to build the model. I have found that if I use some of the included 3d clipart that they machine 1000% better. Thanks for all of your responses so far.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Ah, now we have a clue as to what's going on...the model size is 3 feet by 7 feet, i.e., huge. "Very high" resolution is still not high enough for a model that size.

When you're working with a file this size, you need to use one of the higher resolutions that are only available if you hold down the "shift" key while clicking on "create new file". Two higher resolutions will be available. You will want to select "maximum". You will get better results, to a point. That is a very large model and it stretches the available resolution in Aspire.

This link explains what's going on: http://support.vectric.com/images/FAQ_I ... tureV8.pdf

If there is any option to split the work into smaller pieces, each done at higher resolution, that can help to get better results as well.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

useless

Post by useless »

That solves my issue. Thanks a ton.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Version 9 does not handle this any better than version 4.0 or any other version that I am aware of. So quit wondering about it.

If you are skilled with writing gcode this is pretty simple to do but not trivial by any means. If I had to do it I would break the model into logical sections. Then I would model each section to get decent resolution. Generate all the cutting files required and then get busy and write a "main" program that calls each individual model as a subroutine with a G92 offset.

Not sure how skilled you are at gcode, if not, maybe someone here will help you out.

As an alternative I am thinking you could write these individual program using the "Use Offset" feature when creating each program. That sounds simpler than the method I described above. After you create the programs run each one in turn with the xy zero set in the same place for all. What Use Offset does is shift the coordinate system. Play around with it a bit, it should become apparent pretty quick.

Here is a drawing to help explain what I wrote:

DARN! I always run with my zero in the upper right so I negate the numbers. If you are running from lower left do NOT negate the numbers as I indicated in the drawing below!
Capture.JPG
Using this method you can have the best resolution possible.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns