digitizing a 1968 popular maechincs kayak plan

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
stankern
Vectric Wizard

digitizing a 1968 popular maechincs kayak plan

Post by stankern »

1968 popular mechanics wooden Kayak 15 foot , used the jumbo 3 boards and logitrace 2018
to digitize all happens with aspire 9.5
the full sized plans and cut the parts
and do a partial assembly

Attachments
net1.jpg
net2.jpg
net3.jpg
net4.jpg
net6.jpg

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Re: digitizing a 1968 popular maechincs kayak plan

Post by mickecarlsson »

Nice work. I like it,

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

thanks, not sure if I could kneel in it for a period of time, not at my age

Liendeni
Model of CNC Machine: SS23

Post by Liendeni »

I'm new to Aspire but I have a question. Why couldn't you just have taken a picture of the part diagram, uploaded the image to aspire, use the trace feature to trace the lines, and then referenced a point A to B and enlarged the picture in aspire as need to get the correct size and then cut it out on the CNC. Like I said, I'm sure I am missing something and that is why I am asking so I can see what I am missing. That tracing software is nice but WOW is it expensive. At least for someone who isn't doing this for a living.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Liendeni wrote:I'm new to Aspire but I have a question. Why couldn't you just have taken a picture of the part diagram, uploaded the image to aspire, use the trace feature to trace the lines, and then referenced a point A to B and enlarged the picture in aspire as need to get the correct size and then cut it out on the CNC. Like I said, I'm sure I am missing something and that is why I am asking so I can see what I am missing. That tracing software is nice but WOW is it expensive. At least for someone who isn't doing this for a living.
You're 100% correct. You just have to watch out for perspective distortion, but careful extra measurements will help correct that problem.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

This stuff has been around forever in various forms. The best one I ever worked with was Skalar out of Dayton Oh. They used a track style drafting board so the digitizing system was virtually unlimited in size. The cross hairs were magnified so it was possible to be accurate to under .005 of an inch without straining. Unfortunately the creator of that system passed away a while back and no one was interested in carrying the company forward.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

I still have my old cal comp board and it still works , John Walsh provides the software for these boards and my old drawing board iii would still work