Cutting Rotary Tapers in VCarve Pro 9.5

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ronald44181000
Model of CNC Machine: 4 Azis CNC Router

Cutting Rotary Tapers in VCarve Pro 9.5

Post by ronald44181000 »

Is anyone familiar with a way to design and cut tapered spindles in VCarve Pro 9.5?
I have been able to create Spindles with STL's carved onto the circumference and now I'd like to progress into making these turnings onto Tapered Spindles.
I've seen references to using the 2R Sweep Command but can't figure out how to load this option.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cutting Rotary Tapers in VCarve Pro 9.5

Post by Adrian »

The two rail sweep is only available in Aspire which is why you can't find it in VCarve.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Both the fluting toolpath and the moulding toolpath can be used to make tapered spindles. Lately I've come to prefer using the moulding toolpath. All you need is one vector laid out horizontally to show the slope of the taper across the length, and another that serves to guide that vector around the spindle. For the fluting toolpath you need an array of parallel vectors the length of the slope and set to cut the depth of the slope. Offset the array downhill by 1/2 the diameter of the end mill you'll use.

4D

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Using a large diameter tool and fluting toolpaths works well.
RotaryFlute.jpg
Another approach is to raise the tailstock of the rotary/indexer so it is higher than the headstock. This will cause the material to be tapered towards one end as it is machined.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

There is also relevant chapter in the User Guide:
https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.5/VCar ... ojects.htm

Greg K

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

The moulding toolpath works pretty good.
Attachments
Taper.jpg
Taper2.jpg
Taper3.jpg
Steve

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

I tried using the Advanced modelling 3D rotary projects VCarve Pro Guide but as soon as I tried to Wrap the design I would get an error message in the Material Setup each and every time. I was hoping that someone knew of a video explaining the process so that I could determine where my error was during setup. It would be nice if I had an Extra $1500 laying around burning a whole in my pocket as it seems the One Feature that I always need is in Aspire. Just my luck though as Aspire wasn't even available when I first purchased my VCarve Pro Subscription. I think I got in at version 3.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I was hoping that someone knew of a video explaining the process so that I could determine where my error was during setup.

Help/Video Tutorial Browser

Depending on what you are doing you would look at either Rotary Import & Unwrap Full 3D or Rotary Importing Flat 3D Models
RotarySTL.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

I've watched each of those videos and learned a lot. I have also figured out to which degree that I need to Offset the Height of the Tailstock End from the Headstock End to Create the necessary Tapers. At present I am working with the VCarve 9.5 User Guide describing Advanced modelling of 3D rotary projects.

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

I've been investigating the Advanced Modelling of 3D Rotary Projects as printed in the users guide but have run into a problem that I can't seem to get around.
It is stated that you are to Double-Click on the Zero Plane to Open the Component Properties and enter 0.8 in the Base Height Box. Select Tilt option and Click on Set then switch to 2D View followed by clicking in the Middle Left and then the Middle Right and Set the Angle to 3 Degrees. Since the Modelling Plane was adjusted for placing component on the surface, it needs to be adjusted again, so the component body is not inflated. To do that open Material Setup Form adjusting modelling plane by moving slider down until Gap Inside Model is 0.

I can't get through this part for some unbeknownst to me reason as regardless as to how I set the Job Up. I get an Error Message and the Slider is always Greyed Out.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get around this issue????????

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

This sounds like your model is thicker than the material. In the material setup there is a model thickness displayed.
If this thickness is more than the half diameter of your job, then you need to either increase the material size or scale down your model.

Greg K

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

I was able to get it to work. Though I haven't figured out yet how to make the model smaller consistently so that I don't run into this problem and is there a Minimum Diameter that will work when setting up a Rotary Taper. Also, when I previously mentioned the 2 Rail Sweep. It was from the VCarve Pro 9.5 User Guide that I noticed the Option. Is this Option only an Aspire feature or can it be Turned on in VCarve Pro 9.5?

ronald44181000

Post by ronald44181000 »

VCarve.png
Here is the Screen that I see when attempting to create a Tapered Rotary Cut and am attempting to set the Job Up. I'm attempting to design a Cut Profile for a Pool Cue Lower Section and this is before I even Add any Graphics to the Design. Other than Highlighting the Gap Inside the Model, I haven't made any changes. And it doesn't matter what I attempt to do as I can get rid of the Error Message. The original Design called for a Rotary Job of 2" by 29" on the Center of the Job. I've opened the Component Properties and entered 0.8 in the Base Height, Clicket Tilt and Set the angle to 3 Degrees along with clicked on the middle Left and Middle Right in the 2D view port. When it comes to Adjusting the Modelling Plane to a 0 Gap inside the Model. I become Lost in the Whole Process.

Any assistance in what I should be doing to correct this would be Greatly Appreciated.