aspire 9.512---'failed to open file'....why?please help

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Sawman101
Model of CNC Machine: area51

aspire 9.512---'failed to open file'....why?please help

Post by Sawman101 »

howdy folks, i am fairly new to cnc woodcarving and brand new to this forum. i recently downloaded the new version of aspire 9.5 but have been using 9.0 since i started in july 2018.
i still have both versions installed on my design computer. when i design a new project it is in 9.5 automatically and design goes well. when i try to open the project file later, it says
"failed to open file"
"file written by later version of the program"
"to read file you will need later version"
"file was written by version 9.512" this has me baffled. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance,db

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: aspire 9.512---'failed to open file'....why?please help

Post by TReischl »

When this happens the first thing to do is check which version is actually running on your machine.

Click on Help/About Aspire and see which version is really running. Let us know what you find please.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Sounds like you are “double-clicking” to open a file.

If so, perhaps the file association is opening your older version of the software and thus, cannot open the file that was created in your newest version.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The file association will default to the last version installed but if you have a file open in an earlier version Windows will try to open it in that version rather than the one actually associated with it.

For most people there isn't really a need to have an older version installed alongside a newer one so the easiest fix would be to just uninstall the older version.

Sawman101

Post by Sawman101 »

thank you TR-it will tell me the version that i am actually using at the time, i did get a code 1...at one point.
mtylefl- i am double clicking, a single click does nothing
lastly adrian- i will uninstall version 9.0...will new projects created in 9.5 still be plug and play with my control software-mach 3?
i will wait for a reply, i was just afraid of losing something in 9.0, tool data etc....again i am very new to this.
thanks again everyone,db

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

When you installed 9.5 it should have run the migration wizard which will let you copy everything over. If you didn't run that you can start 9.5 and choose it from the Help menu.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

Well, yes...we know a single click doesn’t do anything except highlight the file.

Double-clicking to open a file is common. I believe what is happening is either your file association is set to your older version or, what Adrian mentioned above.

Certainly, when a newer software version is installed, the file association is SUPPOSED to be updated. However, there are plenty of scenarios where this can fail.

You will eliminate your problem by uninstalling the old version. In some rare cases, you may need to re-install the new version to get the file association to “lock in” automatically (although you SHOULD be able to set the file association manually in any case).

If you are concerned about losing your Tool Database, you can migrate the existing one from the older software version to your newer version prior to uninstalling. By the way, I keep a safe copy of my Tool Database on hand anyway.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Sawman101

Post by Sawman101 »

well i uninstalled 9.0. now when i try to open an older file i get an error
'the default user data location is missing...'
'reinstalling the application should resolve this problem'....now what?
not really sure how to reinstall 9.0, unless they mean for me to reinstall 9.5...? i cant open any of my project files, arrgh!!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what you've done. I've never head of that message in relation to an install/uninstall and I do them all the time as part of testing.

Sawman101

Post by Sawman101 »

boy am i a rookie, if i open aspire 9.5 first and then open files thru it i have no problem.
before, i would just go to my desktop, open files and it would automatically launch(open) me into aspire.
i appreciate the help. stand by, this is just the beginning for me im afraid. thanks again fellas,db

Sawman101

Post by Sawman101 »

one more question for you guys. i have 2 monitors hooked up to each of my machines, 2 in the office and 1 at each machine in the shop.
this morning i was trying adjust the brightness of a dell monitor in the office and hit 'auto adjust' which skewed my screen to the right, about 35% of the way.
hitting auto adjust again will correct the situation for about 1 second then back to being offset, the monitor in the shop is fine and ive had to do all operations out in the shop
remotely because of this issue.
is there a simple quick fix or is my monitor bad all of a sudden(auto adjust not working)? thank you in advance,db

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

not familiar with your monitor but you should be able to re adjust our screen manually, how you do that will depend on the monitor, google the make & model & you should be able to find a manual if you don't still have the one that came with it :lol: :lol:
as for mach3 there are no changes Vectric software that would affect the post processor you use in any way o toolpath saving is same as it was for V9 :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Sawman101 wrote:well i uninstalled 9.0. now when i try to open an older file i get an error
'the default user data location is missing...'
'reinstalling the application should resolve this problem'....now what?
not really sure how to reinstall 9.0, unless they mean for me to reinstall 9.5...? i cant open any of my project files, arrgh!!
Go ahead and re-install your 9.5. Again, this could be the issue of file association loss (if you are double-clicking as usual to open a file).

As far as your monitor issue - can’t help you there, unfortunately.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There are many ways to fix the file association Here is one way.

Using the File Explorer, right click on any file with a .crv3d extension and select "Open With"
Put a check mark in the "Always use this app to open .crv3d files" check box.
Click on "More Apps"
Scroll to the bottom of the list and select "Look For Another App On This PC"
Navigate to the file that opens Aspire 9.5 (Aspire.exe). It's usually found in "C:\Program Files\Aspire 9.5\x64" if your using Windows 10
Select it and then click on "Open"
Steve

c1nel1

Post by c1nel1 »

Unplug the monitor then plug back in.