Kinetic Art Table

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Kinetic Art Table

Post by Tailmaker »

Thanks All for the nice words :)

Here is a quick video, a mix of normal speed and time lapse (running a complete pattern can easily take 20-40 minutes).
I did not add sound and suppressed the background noise of the steppers. For that matter, while the sound is very subtle, you don't want the table running while watching TV.
Maybe I should add a feature to the pattern generating software to control the feed rate and let the steppers hum a melody. I know that has been done before.

https://youtu.be/ADVOGcGJWzs

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

WNC_Ed wrote:That is super cool!
Hopefully your next project will be detailing on this forum how to do your "froggy joints" - Hint Hint
There is really not much to the frog finger joints. I started out drawing just curved fingers (the lower frame of the table with the sand bed is made that way). That worked but the fingers could still rotate apart and needed clamps. The improved version for the upper tabletop frame was to taper the fingers for improved strength and adding the frog finger tips to prevent them from sliding apart. I drew up the finger shape in separate CAD but this could be drawn in Vcarve/Aspire just as well.

If you want to play with that here is a .crv to cut a pair of the frame boards. You can isolate the finger pattern and scale it to different size. For narrow frames you may have to clip off some fingers.
To get super clean edges and mating surfaces I used a downcut bit for a shallow surface cut and the glass recess pocket. Then an upcut bit to cut out (climb) and finish the cutout and the pocket (conventional). I ran the finish paths twice to remove any fuzz. With this strategy the joints slid together perfectly with light taps (lubricated with glue) but on other machines a different technique may be needed. I did not need clamps or squares since there was no play.
There are no tabs because I made a custom vacuum pod to hold the board.
GLASSFRAME.crv
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 134 times

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Wabeco F1410 LF-C HS; Sorotec AL1110

Post by vip-klaus »

+1

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I truly appreciate you sharing the file and the "how to" on the froggy joints.
The table is just simply beautiful without the electronics so it is over the top with the lights and motion.
Maker of sawdust

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Love those joints. Beautiful project.

Gary