tap handle to hold an electronic device

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dehaan
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK II

tap handle to hold an electronic device

Post by dehaan »

I am in the process of making a tap handle with an open top and lets say 7/8" thick 3" wide and 5" tall
First I need to mill out a vertical pocket maybe 7/8" wide by 3" tall and maybe 1/2" deep and leave it open at the top of the tall dimension.
My next challenge is to undercut [slot cut] around three sides of the previous pocket to allow me to insert a thin electronic device from the top so that it will not fall out the front. Slot to be 1/4 deep and maybe 3/16" wider than the existing pocket.
I do not see a T slot cut tool on the tool menu
Next concern would be how to make a single pass without changing the "Z" position?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: tap handle to hold an electronic device

Post by Adrian »

You can't create undercut tools in the database as the software doesn't support undercut tools in the previews. There's nothing stopping you creating a dummy endmill to get the right speeds etc but you will have to factor in the correct lead in and lead out for a tool like that as you obviously can't plunge straight into with it.

dehaan
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK II

Re: tap handle to hold an electronic device

Post by dehaan »

I have an idea to try. I created a profile [profile 1] to match the inner edge of the hollowed out area [call it pocket1] in the interior of the handle. I extended this new profile longer than the work piece. I can then start [and end] the path outside my work. If I make only one pass with a total cut of .001 [in depth] and use a slotting tool, I may be able to give this a shot. I will only need to remove 1/4" thick by 1/4" wide of material in one pass.