Cnc router stops after running.

Daner
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial 8x4

Cnc router stops after running.

Post by Daner »

I'm not sure what's going on with my machine.
The CNC router stops after about 30 mins of cutting.
If I reboot the pc it will be ok for enough time to finish the job.
I checked the sleep mode and screen saver
And there both off.

Its windows 7 with the parallel port,
Any tips
Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cnc router stops after running.

Post by Adrian »

What does the control software say when it stops? Is it the machine itself that is stopping or the PC/Controller software?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you checked ALL the power saving features? Display will turn off first if default settings left, sounds like you have addressed that, next is the hard drive I believe, can't remember for sure though sorry. Could also be something like computer being scanned for viruses or something looking for updates.
I have all the power saving features turned off on my control computer plus all the other stuff like updates & virus software so I don't have problems with windows trying to complete a task while I am cutting :lol: :lol:

Daner
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Daner »

Adrian wrote:What does the control software say when it stops? Is it the machine itself that is stopping or the PC/Controller software?
It just stops...just like if you hit stop on the control panel.
And that's all.
When it stops in the middle of a project
The job can be ruined.
It did stop on the last letter of a sign. .
I had to make a new program just for 1 letter.

Its something in the computer thats causing this

Daner
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Daner »

martin54 wrote:Have you checked ALL the power saving features? Display will turn off first if default settings left, sounds like you have addressed that, next is the hard drive I believe, can't remember for sure though sorry. Could also be something like computer being scanned for viruses or something looking for updates.
I have all the power saving features turned off on my control computer plus all the other stuff like updates & virus software so I don't have problems with windows trying to complete a task while I am cutting :lol: :lol:

I have checked all power settings
I have just turned updated to off
That could be it

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Daner wrote:
Adrian wrote:What does the control software say when it stops? Is it the machine itself that is stopping or the PC/Controller software?
It just stops...just like if you hit stop on the control panel.
Stops but is still responsive to input or stops and needs a reboot?

Usually something like an update download etc would cause lost steps and mess up the cut rather than just cleanly stopping the control program plus it would be a bit odd for it to always be 30 minutes in. It would be worth going through the advanced settings in the power scheme to see what is set to 30 minute timing.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Some software limits the duration of a project cut until the software is registered/paid for.
Sometimes the OS file size limit is what makes a project stop when least expected. FAT32 has a 4gb file limit size, for example.
Sometimes a corrupted thumb drive confuses any program that is using a file off of it. This happens if the the thumb drive is pulled out when a program is still reading/writing to it.

Hard to know exactly what is causing your CNC to stop after 30 minutes, but the above have all been problems I've personally encountered and one may be what causes yours as well.

4D

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Take a look at the power settings in windows. They may be set to conserve power by turning off things like the screen, graphics card, network adapter, etc.
Steve