Stacked Text Tool Change Question

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
VE5MDH
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Stacked Text Tool Change Question

Post by VE5MDH »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one, my friends! Watching the Tutorial on Stacked Text, he states that he uses the Flat Area Clearance Tool (EM .25"), but since they never share how the tool paths are saved, or a video on how they are incorporated with the 60 deg V-Bit, I just have no clue as to the proper steps to take to ensure that I do not come out with a flaw (or worse off, damaged goods!).

Can someone take my hand and either lead me to where I can read up on Stacked Text, or point me to a video that someone has made explaining the tool changes.

My puzzlement deals with this... if there were no double tools with each level of the project, then one can group the Engraving Toolpaths together, and have a separate path for the Profile Cut at the end with the .25" EM.

I hope you are able to understand my bewilderment, and I do look forward from someone in the community to lead me on the right path to doing Stacked Text Signs!

Thanks to everyone in advance.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Stacked Text Tool Change Question

Post by FixitMike »

You can save the V tool toolpaths together and the end mill tool paths together.

Probably best to run the V bit toolpath first, as you need to have a place to Z zero the endmill. (Assuming you are zeroing to the top of the material.)

See Help--Help Contents for information on how the VCarve toolpath works with a flat area clearance tool.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

VE5MDH
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Post by VE5MDH »

Thanks FixItMike. Charlotte nailed it. It is 2 toolpaths to be saved for my project. ALL cuts using the .25" EM are saved into the first Toolpath gcode file, and 4 of my 5 files (all but the Profile Cut), are saved to do the 60 deg V Bit tool work.

This information is what I was hunting for.

Vectric sure is on it! Charlotte also shared with me the complete PDF file for VCarve Desktop, which is a nice thing to have on hand!

johntech
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Post by johntech »

Where can we find that PDF? I walked through that video too and on the screen, it looked great until I actually cut it. What a mess!!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it looked great on the preview the chances are that you've run the toolpath in the wrong order or not zeroed the tool correctly between changes.

Boatguy1979
Model of CNC Machine: Shark ii

Post by Boatguy1979 »

I would like a pdf copy of this as well where can I find or get it.

Keith

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The PDF version of the Help file (which is what is being referred to I think) can be found by going to the Help menu in VCarve, Choosing Help Contents, wait for the help to load in your web browser and then click Single Page at the bottom. This will then change to PDF version. You can click that link to open the PDF version in whatever program you use for PDF files.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There is also a YouTube video

Steve