Layers

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
c1nel1

Layers

Post by c1nel1 »

I have used Vcarve and Aspire for many years and the work flow with layers has always bothered me. If you are
working on a layer that you haven't made active the modification always goes to the active layer. I find its easier to copy the layer I'm working on then paste into a new session of Aspire. I would like an option to have the layer your working on to always be the active layer.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Layers

Post by Adrian »

That would ultimately work out to be even more confusing when people are trying to sort out others problems and the videos would have to show both methods all the time.

When changing layers it's only a double click to make it the active and working layer. If I'm doing lots of layer work I always have the layers tab undocked.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The thing to remember is that whenever a new vector is generated, it will always go onto the active layer. Even though it may be a modification or combination of vectors from other layers. Adding a fillet isn't considered making a new vector, however.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

I think that is an excellent idea to make it an option.

c1nel1

Post by c1nel1 »

There are times that I'm working a layer with all other layers turned off and put a new vector on that layer ,I expect that vector to stay on that layer. But if I forget to make that layer active the vector that I just made goes onto the layer I don't want it on. In most instances the layer I have on is the one I want active.
Thank you for listening.
Clay

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The active layer is always displayed in bold.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

c1nel1 wrote:I would like an option to have the layer your working on to always be the active layer.
sailfl wrote:I think that is an excellent idea to make it an option.
What VCarve and Aspire, etc. really should do is behave as Rhinoceros, AutoCAD, Iilustrator, etc. do when dealing with modifying something on a layer that is not the active layer. Specifically, do the operation but leave the vectors that you've modified on that layer. Do not move them to the active layer and do not change that layer to be active.

e.g. In Rhino:
  • 1. I draw circle on the active layer "Inside".
    2. I change active layer to "Construction".
    3. I draw a cutting line on "Construction" as a diameter of that circle.
    4. I then use trim , without changing layers, selecting the line for the cutting object and the circle for the object to be cut.
    5. I now have the line on Construction" and the semi-circular arc on "Inside".
    6. "Construction" is still my active layer.
Consistency between CAD and CAM packages. No options to clutter up some option screen. No objects changing layers and no layers changing state without my knowledge.

Steven

Edit: In the case of some operations, like "Join" in Rhinoceros, when dealing with two sets of vectors (e.g. a 3 sides of a square on "Layer 01" and the completing side on "Layer 02") you need to decide where to send the resulting shape. In this case it is OK to change the layer that the resulting composite shape is on if necessary.

For example:
  • - "Layer 02" is active then the square goes to "Layer 02" (similarly if "Layer 01" is active)
    - if another layer, say "Holes" is active, then the composite goes to one of the layers of the original vectors that is higher up in the list "Layer 01" in this case.

dheis

Post by dheis »

There is no reason to change the layers of all the vectors being trimmed to the current active layer. Totally disrupts what you are doing and adds so much work that its almost unusable. If there are any work arounds I would love to know what they are.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There are many reasons. Just because it doesn't work the way you expect or want it to doesn't mean it's "wrong" for everyone.

I would always expect any vector operation I do to result in the newly created vectors being placed on the current active layer. Especially with trimming with auto close selected. With more than one layer in operation it's hard to see how it could work in any other way.

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

Layers are an essential tool in the workflow. They must behave properly.

Wish List Idea: Illustrator to VCarve... Make VCarve IMPORT the Layers we've made in Illustrator. Please.

Thank you for listening.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

newmexico wrote:Layers are an essential tool in the workflow. They must behave properly.

Wish List Idea: Illustrator to VCarve... Make VCarve IMPORT the Layers we've made in Illustrator. Please.

Thank you for listening.
Which format are you exporting to from Illustrator? Some of the export/import formats support layers whereas others don't which is generally an issue with the export format itself rather than the Vectric software.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

adze_cnc wrote:
c1nel1 wrote:I would like an option to have the layer your working on to always be the active layer.
sailfl wrote:I think that is an excellent idea to make it an option.
What VCarve and Aspire, etc. really should do is behave as Rhinoceros, AutoCAD, Iilustrator, etc. do when dealing with modifying something on a layer that is not the active layer. Specifically, do the operation but leave the vectors that you've modified on that layer. Do not move them to the active layer and do not change that layer to be active.

e.g. In Rhino:
  • 1. I draw circle on the active layer "Inside".
    2. I change active layer to "Construction".
    3. I draw a cutting line on "Construction" as a diameter of that circle.
    4. I then use trim , without changing layers, selecting the line for the cutting object and the circle for the object to be cut.
    5. I now have the line on Construction" and the semi-circular arc on "Inside".
    6. "Construction" is still my active layer.
Consistency between CAD and CAM packages. No options to clutter up some option screen. No objects changing layers and no layers changing state without my knowledge.

Steven

Edit: In the case of some operations, like "Join" in Rhinoceros, when dealing with two sets of vectors (e.g. a 3 sides of a square on "Layer 01" and the completing side on "Layer 02") you need to decide where to send the resulting shape. In this case it is OK to change the layer that the resulting composite shape is on if necessary.

For example:
  • - "Layer 02" is active then the square goes to "Layer 02" (similarly if "Layer 01" is active)
    - if another layer, say "Holes" is active, then the composite goes to one of the layers of the original vectors that is higher up in the list "Layer 01" in this case.
I agree - don't move to active layer - keep vector on the layer it is created on.
OR - at least give us the option to choose the condition.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

So what happens when you're doing an operation that involves three vectors on three different layers?

If it kept them on the same layer if only one layer was involved and then placed them on the active layer if there was more than one layer involved that would be even more confusing IMO. The way it works now is consistent.

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

To answer Adrian's question... We do not use the EXPORT and IMPORT functions as a way of transferring files from AI to VCarve.
> We do a "SAVE A COPY" of our AI file.
> We then "OPEN THE FILE" in VCarve Pro.
> VCarve does not pick up our layers from Illustrator and instead, puts everything onto one active layer.

We have taken the time to understand VCarve's layer function and the "ACTIVE LAYER" thing. It is odd to us. We are careful to lock layers to avoid the ACTIVE LAYER stealing a vector from any other layers.
We really and truly wish that VCarve layers behaved like Illustrator layers. Please!

"I hope we're not being too picky for the good folks at Vectric."

Thanks for listening.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As far as VCarve is concerned you really are importing (even though you're opening) as you're not using the native CRV format. I should have made that clearer in my post. The AI format doesn't support layers via the import module that VCarve uses as far as I'm aware.

If you have the option to save/export as an SVG or DXF file then try that as they both support layers.

If you want the software updated to support AI layers (I have no idea if that's possible as I think it's a 3rd party module they use) then you would need to contact support directly as this is primarily a user to user support forum and Vectric staff don't see/read every post.