Vhipe super PID speed control

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR48

Vhipe super PID speed control

Post by Kevin Jenness »

I recently became aware of this aftermarket speed controller and am considering putting one on my Camaster Stinger with a PC 7518 router. Has anyone used this in a similar application? Do you recommend it? Any pictures available?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Vhipe super PID speed control

Post by ger21 »

I've been using one with a porter cable 690 for many years. Mine is actually a pre-release version I received for testing. It's an excellent speed control for anyone using a router.

However, they aren't cheap, at about $175 delivered. Imo, a better option is to go to a 2.2kw chinese spindle and VFD, which you can get for about $325, provided you have 240V available.

But if you want to stick with the Porter Cable, yes, the Super Pid is a great upgrade.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR48

Post by Kevin Jenness »

ger21, thanks for the response. The spindle upgrade sounds attractive, but I am not a circuithead and am not sure how easy it would be to adapt the 240V feed to my control box. I am pretty sure that retrofitting a spindle and controlling the speed through WINCNC is beyond me (the process was described at length by an engineer on the Camheads forum). No doubt having an external vfd and just turning the spindle on and off through WINCNC would be simpler. Can you suggest a reliable source for such a spindle/vfd?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I can tell you where I got mine, but can't guarantee how long it will last. I've only bench tested it so far, but people have been buying from this seller for a very long time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-BEARINGS-2 ... 1203446783
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I've had one on my CNC router since day one. Really like the fact that it adjusts the current to the router to maintain the set speed. Only down side is shipping from Australia is expensive, but Val has always given me great tech support and even shipped me a new sensor no charge when we thought the existing one had gone bad.
On the road so no pictures.
John
Maker of Chips

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

I also have one controlling my PC 7518, and it works great. You just have to modify the router to accommodate the speed sensor. I put mine in a box with a remote display panel. Normally, router speed is controlled by the gcode, but I can also control my speed manually. Once my router dies I may look into the spindle option, but for my hobby needs, this setup works well.
SPID 08.jpg