Rest finish type machining on a sign.

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Rest finish type machining on a sign.

Post by rsetina »

I'm making some signs for a friend of mine and with the font I'm using, the .5 inch end mill won't completely remove all the material from the number four inside the triagular area at the top of the number. The corners aren't clean either where the leg and cross bar meet. My question is, is there a way to matching the sign with the .5 inch end mill and just clean the rest of the number four with a .25 inch end mill?

I uploaded an image and I hope it upload to the post so you can see to what I'm referring
Address Signs.jpg
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Rest finish type machining on a sign.

Post by FixitMike »

Yes. You use the Pocket toolpath and check the Use Larger Area Clearance Tool box. The smaller bit will make all of the inside corners sharper.

I would suggest using 3/16" and 1/2" diameter cutters for this to get even sharper inside corners.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you don't see the Larger Area Clearance Tool section be sure to check the Show advanced tool options box at the top of the form. By default it's off so you won't see the other options.

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look for it. I knew I'd get an answer to my question here.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0