Time for a bigger monitor

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Re: Time for a bigger monitor

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I figure it must work fine with 2 monitors, or I'd see complaints about it.

This'll be my first dual monitor setup, so it's new to me. By "dual monitor control" I suppose I meant there'd be something in a drop down menu that said something like "Show 3D View On Monitor 2". Maybe it's totally unnecessary... I don't know...

I ordered a BenQ 27" - PD2700Q. It should be here tomorrow

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Having two monitors side by side is just like having one large monitor. The mouse moves from one to the other just like it was one large surface.

You just need to get the #1 and #2 set up so they are on the right and left side. It's a lot easier to do that than it is to type this line of test.

Then - you just drag the window to where ever you want it.

I will normally have my main working area on the left, and say a pic of what I want to work on, on the right.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I highly recommend a program called Display Fusion to manage your multiple monitor setups. Adds a lot of usability features that aren't available with Windows multiple monitor support.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

DEdwards
Model of CNC Machine: I dont know

Post by DEdwards »

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Sup ... B00ITORITU

I use dual BenQ at home and at work I just have the one for right now, want to start bringing in one of mine to work so i can have 2 monitors there.

Once you do dual monitor you wont go back

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For people who want just one really wide monitor there is this 49" screen: Samsung CHG90
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you go with dual or more monitors you can get some desk space back by using a clamp-style monitor stand
MonitorStand02.jpg
TripleMonitorStand.jpg
QuadMonitorStand.jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

I would have never figured 2 monitors. You people are real good at pushing me to spend my money. :) for now my 24 inch will have to work. My only complaint is that the icons in aspire are tiny tiny and did i mention tiny.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

COWBOY1296 wrote:I would have never figured 2 monitors. You people are real good at pushing me to spend my money. :) for now my 24 inch will have to work. My only complaint is that the icons in aspire are tiny tiny and did i mention tiny.
You don't have to go mad spending money to run 2 monitors, they don't have to be the same size, make, model or have the same type of connection so you could add a second monitor pretty cheaply, to be honest I can't remember the last time I bought a new monitor, most of the ones I have had I have picked up cheaply either locally or from a well known auction site.
Having more than one monitor makes a big difference to most of the work I do both with Vectric software & other software that I use for signmaking, Neither of the monitors I currently have are particularly high spec or high resolution because I simply can't afford them but I certainly wouldn't want to go back to running a single monitor. :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Craigslist
Old stuff companies are throwing out
Best Buy refurbished
Somebody upgrading and getting rid of an old computer
Dumpster diving
www.freestuff.com

I have two 24" monitors - Trust me - I will NEVER go back to one, unless I do NOT have a choice.

One monitor I bought new.

The second one I bartered.
I made a HDU sign and painted it. Valued at around $500, Material alone about $30 So the monitor cost me $30
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

thanks for the ideas

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Well, as I thunked might be the case, the new monitor being a different resolution than the other one looks funky to me. The fact that the CADCAM 'puter video card supports 2 monitors hasn't helped, but that could be because I don't understand how to set it up in Windows 10, and/or how use it correctly, and/or Aspire doesn't have 2 independent monitor support.

For now, I'll use the new BenQ on the "general" computer till I can get another of the same BenQ, and use the old "general" monitor, which matches the other CADCAM monitor, as the 2nd.

I'm looking at monitor stands like Randall suggests... My desk is full of monitors now, and I have little room to make a mess with stacks of papers. It's probably going to be this one: https://www.amazon.com/Loctek-Curved-LE ... 9%3ALoctek
Loctek 5D5H.jpg
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's not Aspire that has the independent monitor support it's Windows/video drivers. You can set the monitors up to be two independent monitors, one large virtual monitor or cloning (used for presentations).

Having two different resolutions would be an issue if you went for the large virtual monitor and made Aspire full screen. Identical resolution is the best for that scenario.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Chris what video card are you running ? As well as having drivers installed for the card most now will install control software for display adaptors, use that to set up your monitors if you have it installed not windows :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I'll say this one more time.
Display Fusion is an awesome program for dealing with multiple monitors. Everyone should look into it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I had a look at it but I couldn't see anything useful (for me) that it does that isn't built into Windows 10 and the NVidia drivers natively. Not sure how good the drivers from other manufacturers are though.

I'm always loathe to add any 3rd party functionality to Windows unless it has a big advantage over standard as, in my experience supporting many PC's, it's the 3rd party software rather than Windows that causes the issues.