Either Just Stupid or Drug Overdosed

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Either Just Stupid or Drug Overdosed

Post by Bonch »

I recently had a 2 level fusion in my neck and thought I would take this healing time to work on a mothers day legacy box with my children's memories. My daughter told me one of her favorite times was playing with her mother and her Polly Pockets.
2017-05-04_17-22-50-0000.png
So I thought i would get a picture of one of the ones she had and put it on the box with other items similar. [/img] However, for the life of me I cannot get this to convert to an svg, import into Aspire and cut it a few tenths above the actual wood surface. Everything I try to do makes it look really stupid or just doesn't work. I know i have seen it on previous projects but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it in this drug induced fog.

Here is one of the paradise boxes with a similar idea except it has initials carved into it instead of the picture.
0c33143aa94db9dd0d6e7478e284d7f33fd0cc4a.jpg
Please help. Thanks

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Either Just Stupid or Drug Overdosed

Post by zeeway »

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do...do you want a 2d version of your picture, or a 3d version? If 2d, I would import a jpg version directly into Aspire and trace the vectors, adjusting until it looks good. A 3d version is more challenging, and you should start by viewing the tutorials.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Are you trying to make a component from the bitmap?
If you want to V-carve, look up "Disney Aladdin coloring pages."
Attachments
alad3D.jpg
princess-jasmine-and-aladdin-coloring-page-source.jpg

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

It is probably confusing because you first have to know what a Polly Pocket is. It is a 2-3 in box that small toys fit in. The picture I posted is the outside box and there are little caricatures and magic lamps, flying carpets etc inside to play with. So the first picture is exactly what i am looking for a 3-d relief to put on the outside of the box. I will actually put 3-4 small versions of different memories.

Can you give me some help on how you created this picture in an stl image to bring into the overall model.
alad3D.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If you have an image (bitmap), open Aspire, create a new file, click on Modeling tab, click the 6th modeling tool from the left in the first row (Create a component from selected bitmap). A dialog box will open, select the bitmap you want to use and click OK. Aspire will create a component that you can then work with just like any other component.
John
Maker of Chips

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Also since Jasmine has black hair and the eyes are outlined, the model looks better if you set the Combine Mode to "Subtract." That way the dark areas protrude instead being recessed. Also might want to try about 15% "Smooth Component."

Aspire creates the model automatically based on the greyscale of the bitmap--it's not a true 3D .stl model.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

You know.... Looking at the Polly Pocket, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard to just make a 3D object. May give it a try just for grins or not.... The only thing I think I'd have a bit of trouble with are the faces.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Well it's a start....
Alladin.jpg
John
Maker of Chips