Iowa School Visit With 4th Grader

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Iowa School Visit With 4th Grader

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nothing better to fill your heart than a class full of 4th graders. 9 plaques for all of the teachers, principal, and technology coach and 29 3d printed keychains for one of the poorest school districts in Iowa to pull on the heartstrings. These kids were amazing. I felt like the most important person on the planet when I was sharing my craft and todays technology with these kids. Some of the questions I got were amazing. One question in fact made a grown 53 year old man have to collect himself and answer to the best of my ability. I really have to thank Franlin Elemetary School in Boone Iowa for allowing me to share some of my craft and experience with these young minds. They were all like sponges just ready to soak up the knowledge that I could share. The best part was all of the handwritten cards and pictures I received from each and every student. Thank you lord for allowing me to share all of this. My heart is full of joy!!
This has happened at every school I have spoken at. I just wish I could do more. The free aspect is what makes it a bit more difficult as I currently have to take off of work and pay my own way as I just would not feel good about charging for what I do. The satisfaction I get from seeing young minds ignited is enough.
Attachments
Iowa.jpg
keychains for Iowa.jpg
IowaDW.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Iowa School Visit With 4th Grader

Post by zeeway »

Congrats to you, Dwayne, on using your talents and skills to honor teachers and to help young minds to grow. We all need to follow your example.

Now then...how about telling us more about the robot, especially the robotic arm you are holding...

Angie

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Sharing your skills to help others is a high level respect in my book.

A friend on mine had this in his signature line.

"A candle looses nothing in the lighting of another candle"
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Wonderful story, Leo. If there is a way to share your experience wider I believe that would be a benefit to the school. I'm not suggesting a way for you to get praise, you obviously have your reward from working with the students. I taught in public schools for 35 years and one thing I learned is that schools don't do enough to blow their own horn. People in the movie industry sing their own praises and many people think of them as royalty. School personnel do wonderful things for many citizens of their own community and don't get much of the recognition they deserve.
Tell your story on Facebook etc. and contact your local newspaper so that people in your hometown can see how you have shown your appreciation for the school staff.
On behalf of school teachers everywhere, thank you. :D

Phil

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I mistakenly complimented Leo. I meant to say "wonderful story, Dwayne."

Phil

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Angie the robot is a open source project that is available to anyone on the internet. It is called InMoov by Gael Langevin . It is fully functional speaks and has cameras in both eyes. The Kinect in its chest is also fully functional as a 3d scanner or telepresence. I printed this particular one on my home printer and have bought it to all of the schools I have visited. He is certainly the star of the show at every school. There is total silence and wide eyes when I power him up.

Leo, I really like that quote and how very true it is.

Phil, I have truly been humbled at every school I have visited. It is astounding at how thankful the teachers, students and staff are at every school. One school in particular I lent my 3d printing experience to a high school tech class. They printed a 3d prosthetic hand for a young lady in our community. This one did attract quite a lot of attention on a local and national level.
It is very true that teachers and professors do not get the recognition they deserve. These are the people who are molding the minds of the persons that will be taking care of us.
There is one comment I make at every talk I give. I tell the students to always remain teachable because the gift of knowledge can never be taken away.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli