How to individually upload dxf files onto their own sheets?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Joseph Hoang
Model of CNC Machine: Custom made CNC

How to individually upload dxf files onto their own sheets?

Post by Joseph Hoang »

So when I’ve been importing .dxf files to VCarve, I’ve been having to make individual files and putting each .dxf file in its own file (screenshot 1). This is because I’ve been needing to put each .dxf on its individual sheet. When importing large numbers of .dxf files and processing them to .tap files, it has been a tedious process: > making each individual file > importing each file > changing settings for each file before saving as a .tap.

Recently, I’ve been looking into finding a more efficient method, by trying: gadgets > dxf batch processor > all .dxf files without being in their own individual file, just 1 main file containing them all (screenshot 2).

This results in only the first .dxf file being on a sheet. For this example, I’ve imported 13 .dxf which should equate to 13 sheets (screenshot 3). I haven’t been able to find a method to put each .dxf on its own sheet all in one go.

I’ve tried >offset, array and nest >nest selected objects. This results in the cut outs of my .dxf files moving around and 14 sheets are required (screenshot 4). Is there a way for me to keep the 13 sheets?
Attachments
screenshot 1.PNG
screenshot 2.PNG
screenshot 3.PNG
screenshot 4.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: How to individually upload dxf files onto their own shee

Post by Adrian »

Try adjusting the nest parameters so they match those you used when you originally laid out the DXF files. The nesting process leaves gaps between the edges and the parts according to the parameters you specify so the number of sheets may well change.

Alternatively you could create the sheets manually by nesting a dummy part that only one of will fit on a sheet and then doing a nest with the copies of that set to 13. That will give you 13 blank sheets and you can then use the Move To Sheet command on the right click context menu to place each of your DXF groups onto a sheet.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

Create a separate layer for each sheet. You can turn the layers on and off. I use have as many as 40 sheets with each having their own layer.

Joseph Hoang

Post by Joseph Hoang »

Oh thanks for that, could you give me instructions as to how?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... e_GEN.html

You can't have layers within layers though so if you have layers in your DXF files for toolpathing you'll need to group first before placing on storage layers and ungroup before toolpathing.

Joseph Hoang

Post by Joseph Hoang »

The DXF files are just single path cuts - so no layers.

Joseph Hoang

Post by Joseph Hoang »

Adrian wrote:Try adjusting the nest parameters so they match those you used when you originally laid out the DXF files. The nesting process leaves gaps between the edges and the parts according to the parameters you specify so the number of sheets may well change.

Alternatively you could create the sheets manually by nesting a dummy part that only one of will fit on a sheet and then doing a nest with the copies of that set to 13. That will give you 13 blank sheets and you can then use the Move To Sheet command on the right click context menu to place each of your DXF groups onto a sheet.
Thanks for this reply Adrian. I didn't see it before, will definitely try what you've suggested.