Multiple parts - one TAP

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Multiple parts - one TAP

Post by pknvectric »

If I wanted to clamp down two parts to my table and choose multiple XY start points (i.e. XY=0,0 for part#1 and XY=0,300 for part#2) can I create a single toolpath to cut both parts without requiring me to cut part#1, return to the machine, set a new XY and start the TAP again? (Z height is the same for both materials.)

I suppose I could create 2 individual TAPs by editing part#2 X_location and then copy/paste them together into a single file but I'd much rather let Aspire do this for me if it is possible! :-)

(No, I don't want to have to manually copy/paste/move vectors within the file. Part#2 X is going to change almost every time and moving dozens of vectors/recalculating TAPs is a mistake/error waiting to happen.)

I simply want to say xy=0,0; run TAP; xy now = 300,0; run TAP.

If it's not possible... Is there a good TAP editing tool for this scenario? I'm currently editing directly in MS Notepad.)

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Multiple parts - one TAP

Post by IslaWW »

PKN...
One way to do this is to save a home position as your second XY zero. Move to XY 0,300 and save that position as H1 (for example)

Workflow would be Run file 1, type G0H1 [enter], hit enter to reload, make sure proper file is selected, enter again to run

You can save 10 unique home (that zero XY) positions and 10 unique positions for location, but you would have to zero the XY yourself.

You could also type in G92.1 x300 (or Y300) and shift the local zero by the amount given

Lots of ways to skin that cat, I am sure there are more.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Post by pknvectric »

Thanks Gary - Good thoughts.

I already save my XY=0,0 to H1 prior to starting every job (per your suggestion on a Camaster thread, I think). I suppose adding G0H1 to the end of my TAP and copy/pasting the rest of the file would save me the trouble of walking over to the machine and restarting the process... Then each time I want to run the 2-part TAP I simply edit the XY. If I want to run a 3-part TAP I edit XY in two locations in the file.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

It almost seems easier to simply copy the vectors to the needed locations in the drawing and then the toolpaths are automatically created for as many parts as you wish to cut? Basically no toolpath editing involved or offsets and simply use locations in the drawing that match where the material will be mounted. Almost like nesting the parts on the sheet, but using separate blanks for each part.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

If your control(software) supports supports Sub Program calls you could use the following program structure :
O4712
(THE MAIN PROGRAM CONTROLLING THE OFFSETS9
G90G54(USE 1ST WORK OFFSET)
(CALL TOOLPATH SUB PROGRAM)
P4711M98
G55 (USE 2ND WORK OFFSET)
(CALL TOOLPATH SUB PROGRAM)
P4711M98

M2
%

:4711
(THE SUBPROGRAM WITH TOOLPATH)
(BUT WITHOUT ANY OFFSET CALL !)
(JUST THE MOVES AND TOOLCHANGES)
M99 (IMPORTANT !!)
%

Richard

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I don't know how to do it in Aspire.

BUT

It is just so easy to do it in the G-code.

Soo - create the two TAP programs in Aspire and post the individual programs as you normally would.

Then - take the first program you want to run, and edit the G-code in any simple text editor. I use wordpad, but notepad is fine also. There are many text editors out there. As a professional CNC programmer I have used wordpad for years.

Copy and paste the second TAP file at the end of the first TAP file

BETWEEN the two enter the following text

G0 Z6.0 (this is only to put the spindle at a clear position - you may not need it at all)
G55 (you really only need this one code)

REALLY - you don't need any more than that.
The G55 changes the work coordinate system to a new position. There should be at least 6 available coordinate positions available in your machine. I don't know Cammaster, but I do know CNC machines.
Of course you CAN get more elaborate. I did look at WinCNC and it does in fact support G54 thru G59.

DISCLAIMER:
Of course you should try and test slowly and carefully BEFORE going full tilt with this.

NEXT - use your machine control to set X-Y-Z zero for G55 for your second piece.

It takes a LOT more effort to type this reply and to read this than to do the editing.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

Leo, this will work nowadays where the control software runs from a pc with lot of memory.
My example is from a older Fanuc control with pretty less memory . So we have to write compact programs.

Your solution creates large programs especially if you have more than one offset to use. But it works anyway !

Richard