Controller not Working

Tagatts1
Model of CNC Machine: CNC PIRANHA FX

Controller not Working

Post by Tagatts1 »

Tagwats1.

I am not sure where to make this post. So should it be in the wrong area, please place it where it can be read. I am looking for some help. I have not posted on this forum before and hope to gain some information and help. Thanks ahead of time if anyone can be of help. I have a CNC Piranha FX Router. I purchased it less than a year ago. It has worked well up till today. It has been a sharp learning curve for me. At my age, I think most people are not venturing into to new things. Now to the issue I have.

The Router has been great and fun to work with. Last night, I noticed, it seemed a bit slow to download from my Thumb Drive. I just thought it was because of a large amount of data for the project i was doing. It also seemed to slow the router itself down as it was making the cuts. I use a Bosch Router. It worked and I finished the project. To day I was going to start a new project. However, when I set up all the power there was no noise. There has always been a noise when I powered up. The sound is very soft. It sounds like a (Ker Thunk), Has any one else had this issue. I am hoping to find an easy cure for this. If you have suggestions, I am most assuredly willing to try them. The controller just seems to be totally dead.

Thanks,
Tagwatts1,
Vernal, Utah.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Controller not Working

Post by highpockets »

Tagwats1,

The "ker thunk" you hear at startup are the stepper motors energizing. If you're not hearing the "ker thunk" the controller is not powering them up. Start with the controller.

Good luck.
John
Maker of Chips

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

Thank you, This is where I suspect the problem lies. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

highpockets,
Do have any knowledge as to how to test the controller by itself?

armbrusterco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Roland MDX-40A

Post by armbrusterco »

Start with power to the controller. Check your outlet circuit breaker. Check the cord connections. Check for a fuse or reset button on the controller that may have tripped.
Bob Armbruster
www.ArmbrusterCo.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Bob is steering you in the right direction. Also contact the manufacturer or Rockler if you purchased it from them.
John
Maker of Chips

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

I have not found any kind of a fuse. I checked if there were any kind of breakers that had to be reset. I could not find one. I am pretty sure the controller is bad.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Do you have a Volt/ohm meter to use and check that you have power to the controller? If you have power to the controller then perhaps there is a fuse internally(inside the control box) If you are not familiar with electrical then you might be well advised to see if you have a friend that can help. I have seen boards with fuses and there could even be an inline fuse on the line coming from the power terminal. Always use caution when working with electrical circuits and make sure the power chord is not plugged into the machine/controller if opening the control box. Do not want to add to your problems so please be careful and perhaps research some info on working with electrical circuits prior to any work you are unfamiliar with.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

I do have a DVOM. I have power to the controller. I did not want to take the unit apart in case there is a warrant. I have had the machine less than a year. I went on line to try and find a schematic for the controller. I have not found one yet.
Again I appreciate all of the input that has come to me. I will let it known to all how this project turns out in the meantime I remain open To thoughts and suggestions.
Thanks Again,
Tagwatts1 in Utah.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Check under the plug socket for a pull out fuse. Controllers from nextwave automation for their CNC sharks have a fuse there.

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

Wes, Thanks, I did not look there, but I will. It is really neat to hear from so many with different Ideas. I do appreciate the help. This is all new to me.

cnc4me
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XYZ Gantry, PMDX motion, Mach3

Post by cnc4me »

Tagatts1,
Have you tried calling the support desk at Nextwave? If it is less than a year old then your Pirranha should still be under warranty. They will walk you through problem determination.
Hope this helps.

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

I called a couple of days ago to talk the support desk. They gave me some input that I tied to do, no avail. I was told then that I would have to ship the controller to them for repairs. I have done this now. Mailed it yesterday with two days mail guaranteed. I hope this fixes the issue. I wonder now if others are having any of the same issues. I talked with a gentleman in Flagstaff, Arizona and he is having the same exact issue and problems. This kinda worries me as i have not used this machine all that much. If any one else has run up against this, I would like to know how you have handled it.

So far this support group and technical people have been Johnny on the Spot so to speak. They reply in a very timely manner and have been willing to do all that they can to create good customer relationships.

I will let you all know how this goes..

Tagwatts 1 in Utah.

Tagatts1

Post by Tagatts1 »

I have set the controller to the company a couple of days ago. I have heard nothing yet. Still in limbo and hoping for the best.